Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Networking, hardware, software, various OS's, Email Web and domain hosting, DNS

I have a question about how to use a webcam

Customer Question

Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 2 months ago.

Hello thank you for choosing

What is your question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I take it that you cannot see the question that another expert could not asnwer & opted out for another expert to take?
I have to write it all over again

No i saw it, and sorry.....i didnt see it until after i replyed here.

You can go to the OTHER question you have, and work from that one instead.

I replied there too!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok-----I have a portable webcam. I want to use it instead of the one that is built into my computer. I understand how to use the built in cam to use video on skype. You exchange skype names etc. This is different. I want to go to a website that has a directory of many chatrooms. I should be able to choose someone I want to chat with --click on that link & when I do I can see & hear them & use my keyboard to chat with them. I want them to be able to see me too. That is how this works--2 way. This is different that using skpe where you are contacting the other person directly. In this case I go to the website like I do with any website & THEN I am to make the personal connection. How do I do that?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
are you working on this?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I am on the OTHER question you have.

YOu cvan CLOSE this question out....becaue its a DUPLICATE to your ORIGINAL question.

I am helping you on the ORIGINAL question.

I am the same expert on BOTH questions.....Quiksilver07070 (My name is ALex)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
why is it not as simple as being able to tell me how to have my cam on when talking to some one on that site?
my confusion is this----with skype I have a specific person I am connecting with through their skype acct.
If I just have my cam on & I go to this chat website--are people going to be able to see me just because I have my cam on & went the site & clicked on their link?

Computers are not that simple.

There is no such thing as a camera ON anf OFF switch or button on the computer.

It s all controlled by SOFTWARE or PROGRAMS.

When you OPEN a program that controls your cam, such as skype, or other cam software, then the came can be accessed.

Also, each website is built differently, and there is no way to know if the website YOU ARE GOING to will be nefarious, or safe.

As you can imagine, all parts on your computer can be accessed using SPY software, and you would not even know it.

So, your question does NOT have a simple answer.....but to be safe.....I would advise useing a sticky note to cover the webcam if you are worried about it. That is the ONLY 100% sure way to keep anybody from seeing through your cam.