Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.

I have a question about how to use a webcam

Customer Question

Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  ComputerHammer replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using justanswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. What would you like to know on how to use your webcam?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe I must be missing something very simple & obvious or I am just not understanding the answers I am getting.
I have a remote webcam--that I plug into the usb. I want to be able to use it in this way----I want to go to a website that contains many different chat rooms. They have a directory that I can choose from & click on anyone I want to chat with. When I do so I can see & chat with my keyboard with them---but they can't see me. I want to be able to use the cam so they can see & hear / speak with me. 100's of people are doing this but I don't know how to. Please understand that I know how to use skype to do a video call with the built in cam on my computer. We exchange skype names & go from there. This is different---I am just going to a website like any other one--so there is no skype names---I should be able to go to the site & do what I have described..

Going to opt out and let another expert help you. Afraid I would not be able to help you in a timely matter as something has come up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing

My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing the previous expert progress.

Please Stand-by.

OKay.....the inherent problem with your request is that when you say you want to go to a not saying WHICH website.

The problem with that, is that every website is built DIFFERENTLY. SOme allow video connections, and some dont. Some allow olny CERTAIN video codecs, or streams. Some only allow encrypted video streams.

So....the problem is that unless you can prepare your computer and webcam for the website you are going to be using it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to be able to make it work by using general settings.

MOst websites will have a USER INTERFACE, that the USer (Thats you) can enter any specificationsa ABOUT the webcam, or about the connection being made, or about the drivers to use that are on the ocmputer.

Very Few websites (that are not fortune 500 companies) will be automated in a webcam connection.

I need to know more about WHAT websites you will be using the WEBCAM for.

And for Skype, you can change the camera input from the BUILT-IN the camera on the USB, within the Skype User Interface.

That is simple, and I can show you how to do this. on a remote session if you would like?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok---it just seems incomprehensible that it can be so complicated---there are 1000's of people doing this--amazing--this is my 4th attempt at getting an answer on JA.

Im sorry it seems to be so complicated......but computers only get more complex, and more sophisticated everyday.

I took almost 4 years of college, and i still dont know everything there is to know.

With that in mind......the question remains......would you like to have a remote session with me, so i can help you fix the issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.