Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

Recently moved an Iomega 1TB extenal HD Mod: MHNCHD from the

Customer Question

Greetings! Recently moved an Iomega 1TB extenal HD Mod: MHNCHD from the network in our previous home (where it connected fine/worked great) to the network in our new home (which are using the same computers from the prev network) and it (the HD)either doesn't get recognized at all, or it initially/briefly displays the main HD data folders screen, then they (the 6 folders) get a red "X". I presume I didn't do 'something' in the process of connecting of the HD into the new network and that the 'fix' may be a simple one! Any help you may provide will be appreciated!Dave Allard
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dave,

The red x means the drives are currently disconnected (not mapped) - the IP addresses may have changed so it cannot find the location.

You need to obtain the IP address of your network drive and re-map it.

It can be done via the command line with the net use command.

If you're not sure how to do it feel free to request a remote session and I can do it for you.

Otherwise, simply grab the destination IP and use the command as follows:

net use x: \\IPaddress\ShareName$

And it should re-map the drive to the letter you choose to assign.

Kind Regards,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dear Martin: Tnx. I am most leery of remote connections and would prefer to try and do it with your assistance, so I can not only see/understand what has been done but also for peace of mind in terms of security. While no techno-luddite, I will still need a bit more hand-holding detail and/or step-by-step guidance in terms of 'simply grabbing' via the Command Line, et al. Thanks in advance!
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

I understand - it's quite a complex issue for me to simply give you a straight answer which is why I suggested the remote but if you're good with computers I'm sure we can get through with it.

I need to know some info:

The operating system the computer's are using

The previous IP address and subnet settings

The current subnet info being assigned locally at your new home

Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OS is Win 7; System a Dell i5 w/8GB Ram
- May not have the prev IP Addr & subnet settings. Will have to try to find same, which may take some time, if I have them at all (have just moved and all records are packed-away/ some stored long distance away).
- Will check on what new network IP info I have.
- Will have some delay Hour or so) before I can get back to you w/same. Can we continue then?
PS; were we to securely connect (with the additional cost) will you be able to get the ext HD connected to the new network w/o necessarily requiring the prev IP address & subnet settings?Tnx...DJA
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

Sure, you can take all the time you need.

If we were to connect I would suggest leaving the setting as they are now so I can figure out the previous settings by looking at your computer in its current state. That way I can re-map it for you.