Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions
95132829

Im atech myself but im up against a gremlin ive never seen.

Customer Question

im atech myself but im up against a gremlin ive never seen. using this board http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2321#ov . wasw orking perfectly then BSOD out of nowhere (client machine). it will not let me fix into bios it detects only 1 of its 3 drives... and it detects it TWICE. so. stuck right now. working on other machines for now but gotta fix this. any ideas/clues/where to start?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 4 months ago.

Hi, name is Jennifer.

A few questions....

Are you configured so ALL the drives are on the 3gb ports? Are you using the RAID configuration?

Do you have all three drives on the Intel ports?

Is there a SSD involved?

Here's the biggy - have you reseated the cables or tried different SATA cables? Maybe one is being a butt.
Have you tried replacing the SATA cables? Perhaps one is actually losing contact and the act of re-plugging it is fixing a physical connection issue coincidentally?

I took a quick look at the ASUS BIOS updates for that board and none specifically mention any bullet points in relationship to hard drives. They have an awful lot of "system stability improvements" which make me curious, but I question if an updated BIOS may help due to the lack of specific information saying it would. It's always on the table though, if you're not on the most current BIOS.

Maybe there is a firmware update that we don't know about?

Let me know.

Not ASUS.....Gigabite.

Being a technician, you already tested the HDD's so I'm running out of steam here without looking like a total idiot to you trying to come up with ideas. LOL

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i know the board intimately it used to be one of mine. it's BIOS is up to date. no raid, just 3 big SATA drives. not AHCI i dont think. not messy or complicated at all. nope not even an ssd yet. gotta behave first b4 any upgrades. all firmware and updates for hardware drivers software all up to date (im a perfectionist). i wasnt there for the BSOD. no issues or hints b4hand of trouble. thought a CMOS reset would sort it but NOPE still the same drive showing on 2 channels and the others invisible. b4 i benched it for work i did do basic trblshooting, like reassigning stuff, playing with cables, no diff. even reseated RAM. nada. this PC was a solid workhorse that simply got higher-capacity drives... now massive gremlin. will investigate and Goole like hell but this last day up in here, thought id see...

Don't give up hope! If you'd like we could pass this around. I'm sure we have someone here that could give more insight. We have a lot of great guys here that can work some magic. I'm going to opt out and let them have a go.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 4 months ago.

Are you still looking for assistance with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yip. still same. working on other machines for now. ever seen this b4?

ok, give me a few minutes to look through the notes

I would like to first of all ask, out of the 3 drives, please tell me the makes and models of them, and which one is the boot drive?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
oh come now. im a tech. alll sorted. this out of the blue. ever seen drive detected TWICE b4? and ignoring others? weird, no? im looking for detailed info, professional stuff not basics like where u r starting from... didnt u read what weve said??

Believe me I have seen it all. I have been in the PC hardware industry for over 24 years. I have owned, built up and sold 3 repair shops, Worked as a contractor for many companies including Microsoft. I know what I am doing. But obviously with your knowledge must surpass me. Why are you asking for help, then in turn insulting the people trying to help you. One thing I learned is always start with the obvious and check them again then move forward from there. But since you are all over it I will go ahead and opt out. Maybe someone else who knows more can help you.

I have actually taken this question to the computer science department at LSU. If you can wait for answer, I will get you one.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i got until tonight. not paying again.

Nope. I am doing this out of pure curiosity.

So far, I have gotten one answer and it doesn't seem feasible but they said to check the capacitors. That is honestly the only answer I think I am going to get tonight considering it is a raging storm out this way.

I tried. I hope somebody has a feasible answer for you. If I hear of anything and this is still open, I'll throw it at you and see if it helps.

I was wondering if you were able to get this fixed?