Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions

I just bought a Logitech harmony 650 but no computer, only

Customer Question

I just bought a Logitech harmony 650 but no computer, only an iPad - how do I set it up?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 3 months ago.

Hi Drew,

My name is ***** ***** I will be answering your question today.

I checked the Logitech website for this remote, and it seems there is no way to get this setup without the desktop software on a computer. There is an iOS app for it, but you can't fully setup without starting on the desktop. Here are the system requirements:

What I will do is this. I will not be online today so I will opt out of this question so that other experts can view it. If they have any better ideas, then they can have a go at it.

If you find my answer satisfactory, please rate my answer with at least 3 stars so that I may receive credit for this answer. I thank you for using Just Answer and you have a wonderful afternoon.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Drew, and my appologies for getting you an appropriate answer. This question really should have gone to the tv or home theater area rather than computers, but you are here now and I'll be happy to help you.

In short, what was mentioned above is correct, you must have a computer to set up the remote, as it requires a usb connection and special software for the configuration.

You could potentially do this somewhere else on another computer, such as a public library for example, or you could have a home theater installer/tech come out to configure it for you (typically around $100).

Another option that may be better for you would be to return the remote you have, and instead purchase an IOS based remote such as the harmony hub system:

This one CAN be programmed through your ipad, and then lets you control your systems with the included remote OR via an app on your ipad (something your current version cannot do).

Best regards,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Drew?

Expert:  Jennifer French replied 2 months ago.

Were you able to find a resolution to this? Thank you for your response in advance.