Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

At different times of the day my computer screen distorts,

Customer Question

At different times of the day my computer screen distorts, like a TV screen when the vertical is off.... Last time it happened yesterday I was away from the computer when I returned the distortion almost burnt the screen.. I quick closed the computer then turned it on again only the opening screen had the face of the distorted (Internet) scream on it... I tried to go back system restore and it froze up... I closed off but now the computer would not start Windows 7... I opened it again and went to F8, ran the repair... Got a message back repair could not help a bad error had taken place... I couldn't get into Safe Mode... So I took the last choice of off using disk built into my computer to restore drives... It worked... Lost some stuff mostly mail, then today around one in the afternoon the screen started to take off again, I quick closed it off... I checked the machine with my McAfee, also my Malware and the machine they said was clean... I had Cox, my internet supplier tweak my modem, that worked for a while... This happened to me last week too only I closed the machine off before damage could take place.. Saturday I was away from the computer so it took till Saturday night to be able to close it off... I ran repair from F8 last week too only that time it worked....
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And how long has the screen been an issue?
Customer: I have a Dell XPS 420... Last two week screen problems
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: In 2012 had to take my tower to Microsoft Store had awful problems with IE, no one could figure out why... Locked up on me, added Google Chrome and did better... IE would not allow me to download anything...
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Yeah had trouble once when first got machine with Vista, could not download a mail program.. I switched to Incredimail to get my mail, someone from your just answer helped me out then too... I had Norton and boom all of a sudden they froze up my mail program saying it could not be trusted... I called Cox, they switched me over to their McAfee at no charge a perk for using Cox... I am ready to throw in the towel and go out buy an Apple, this machine has been a problem since day one...
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

When you say you did the restore, you are referring to the recovery correct? So you did a reinstall of windows so the computer was as new.