Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Since the Tandy II Ive been utilizing and repairing hardware components. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My asus g75 quit working, so I replaced the motherboard,

Customer Question

My asus g75 quit working, so I replaced the motherboard, video card, screen, video card, and fans. Now it still does not work. I am not getting any power light and the ac adapter fails to show on. Should I disconnect memory and all ribbon cables to see what happens? Any suggestions are welcome.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

When you say the AC adapter fails to show that its on.. That sounds like the issue is with the ac adapter not passing power to the machine. Id suggest replacing the ac adapter itself, you can get a generic replacement here and an OEM replacement here

The only other thing it could be is the DC input power board / jack

But if your AC adapter doesnt show the green led light being on, then id start with the AC adapter first.. As if it doesnt pass power, then it must be replaced.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It does not show on when connected to the laptop. When it is unconnected, it shows on. I measured the dc output of the adapter and it was 19.8 volts. Is it possible that too much thermal compound could cause a problem? I put it on fairly heavy when I changed over the heatsinks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you have suggestions on isolating the problem, such at disconnectiong all the cabling and see what happens when power is applied, then one by one hook up the cables. The replacement parts are not used... brand new.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

I wouldnt think too much would cause an issue, unless it ran over the sides and got into the pin connections between the proc and mainboard.

I still think what you described sounds like an issue with the ac adapter. If it goes off when connected either the cord is grounding out , or the dc input jack is grounding out the cord.

Definitely still down to replacing either the cord, or the dc input jack / board.

Because even if you removed the dc input jack board altogether.. When you connect the ac adapter it should have a green light ( if you only connected the ac adapter to just the dc input jack removed entirely from the machine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A board problem could cause a loading issue with the ac adapter and that could be anywhere on the board. Remember, the a.c. adaptor connection is part of the motherboard and the motherboard is brand new. I am at a total loss with what to do and right now I am $500 into new parts.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

The DC input jack is a seperate board from the motherboard.

If you look at the link I sent you, which is the exact replacement for the G75 model, youll see the board is separate.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Youlll also see it has a pin connector where it connects to the motherboard.

Id make sure that you the connector from dc board to motherboard connected properly.. But again with that being said.

We test dc input boards by the manner I suggested. By connecting just a power cord to the board to see if the light stays green or shuts off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am tired.... I agree with you... I will take a closer look at it. I dont think the jack would cause the motherboard to go bad. Everything should still be in tact. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

I agree with your statement. On higher end machines they tend to seperate the dc input board from the motherboard for just this reason.

So the dc input board would fail from a power surge and could be replaced, instead of the motherboard taking the hit.