Christopher Holl
Christopher Holl,
Experience:  Network Manager at Technic In

Two issues. First, the screen is a bit too bright and I

Customer Question

Two issues. First, the screen is a bit too bright and I cannot figure how to adjust that. I push the button for brightness and the menu pops up, but I cannot find anything to move the arrows up or down. Brightness is currently 100%, and that is too much. The VK228H-CSM is connected to my MacBook Air. Second issue is that the webcam on this monitor stopped connecting some months ago, so I cannot go on FaceTime Video while sitting at the monitor, and have to use my iPad instead. FaceTime Audio is still OK.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Several months, and I only just found this help line!
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing for these problems
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, thanks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Christopher Holl replied 4 months ago.

Hello there. I'll try to help you out today. For the first issue, monitor brightness: check out the attached file. Pages 18-20 describe how to access the menu, page 20 actually mentions brightness.

For the facetime camera, presumably this is a USB connected device. Have you made sure the cables are attached and tried unplugging/plugging it back in? have you also tried rebooting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the user guide, from which I have figured out how to get the buttons to work for brightness. However, the built-in Asus monitor camera is still not working, even though the connection cables (VGA and USB upstream) are secure, and I have tried rebooting. Facetime is set to use the Asus camera, but doesn't. Facetime's video box is simple black when you try to make a call.

Does the light next to the camera come on? Usually web cams will have a small light to tell you when they're active. If facetime sees it (which it seemingly does seeing as its an option) then its odd that its not working. You may have a defective unit, or your monitor may need to be power cycled. its also possible that there is an option in the monitor settings to enable or disable the camera.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the little light beside the monitor's camera does come on when I bring up FaceTime. And I did power cycle the monitor yesterday. And I cannot see any option in the settings for the Asus VK228 monitor that controls the camera. But it's still not working.

This may sound odd but are you certain there's nothing blocking the lens of the camera? a small sticker or spot of marker perhaps? if you look in can you see the actual sensor? (a smaller reddish or greenish circle within the lens)? It sounds like the camera itself is dead. if the Mac recognizes it, and the light comes on, you should have a picture. You could try it on a different PC or computer to be sure, but you're probably looking at a defective unit. If the monitor is under warranty Asus should replace or repair. If not, it may be most inexpensive to just purchase a small external camera.

could you kindly provide feedback on my service if you're all set?