Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.

I have a Ativa AT-P6000 Calculator/Printer that I bought

Customer Question

I have a Ativa AT-P6000 Calculator/Printer that I bought replacement ink ribbons for from Amazon per Office Depot recommendation.
I got in the ribbons and in midst of trying to put the ribbon in (with the power on) I caused something to happen. The Feed button, Arrow button does not work and when I put the Power button on Print I get a E on the bottom left of the screen.
If I put the Calculator on non print status I can use the +, -, x functions.
Is there anything I have accidently done/
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try the RESET button, first.

If that doesn't get the calculator working, try re-loading the paper, *and* re-load the ribbon, according to instructions, also.

If that still has no effect, try unplugging the calculator from power for at least 15 minutes, then see if that resets the problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is the reset button?

I confess that though I see a reference to the RESET button for this model, I have no specifics on its location, I'm sorry to say.

(If you would prefer to be helped by a different Expert on this matter, I will Opt Out, opening the case to other Experts at no extra charge.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just diconnected the Power Button and will wait the 15 minutes to reconnect. I cannot feed the paper because that button is one of the ones not working.

Understood. Thanks for following my directions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have looked over the Calculator with a flashlight and can not find a reset button. I will turn back on the Calculator at 5:24PM Denver time.

It might be inside a pin-hole, or some such arrangement.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I reconnected the Power and have no change.Still the same E on the left hand corner of the display.I found no holes except screw holes and looked inside the cartridge box and see not button.Perhaps you should refer me on?dave

I'm considering Opting Out, but researching another approach....

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

I am ceding this case to another Expert who either has, or can find, support information for the Ativa AT-P6000 calculator.

I cannot think of anything, before Opting Out, except: when you bought the ribbon(s), did the page on Amazon say that the ribbon you bought was actually one that works with the P6000 model of Ativa calculator-printer ?

If it did not state compatibility with the AT-P6000 model, then perhaps your ribbon is quite simply incompatible. If you want, state the part # ***** the ribbon you put in, and I'll research that at least.

(My thought: you didn't do anything wrong. The Ativa is simply rejecting an unsuitable ribbon.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, it was the Model # ***** the AT-6000.The mechanism stopped working even before I got the ribbon in. Before the feed button and the arrow button worked.I put the ribbon in and it still does not work; and, there is really only 1 way to put the ribbon in. I even tried winding some more ribbon onto the used cartridge to see if that would activate the wheels. Something is locking the mechanism and I do not know how to unlock it.Dave

OK, this problem is beyond me, though I covered some ground. Thanks for your patience. I have Opted Out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My email address is:***@******.***I have kept this window open for the last 23 hours but need to use my Google Chrome web access.Please sure that someone gets back in touch with me on this problem.Thanks.Dave Beaty

I'm sorry to hear that other Experts here did not help you.

I Opted Out in order to open the case to one of them, that might know more than I on the subject of Ativa calculator problems.