Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I recently upgraded my Gateway DX4870 pc (factory installed

Customer Question

I recently upgraded my Gateway DX4870 pc (factory installed Windows 7) to Windows 10. I need to update the bios for the Gateway computer. How do I do that in Windows 10? Do I need to get the bios update for the original Windows 7 model?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Make and model are Gateway DX4870. I now run Windows 10 OS, but the machine came factory installed with Windows 7.
JA: Is there anything else the Computer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Yes, I downloaded what seemed to be the right bios from Gateway, but when trying to install I got a Windows message that it could not be done. The installation package had come with a WinRar trial.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.

Did you download driver from here? http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads

This particular model is not supported for Windows 10, it only has a BIOS version up to Windows 8.1

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Cody
I'm not sure, but it was some official Gateway support site. The bios are several years old and should have been updated when I still had Windows 7. Can I still do that (update the original bios), even though I now run Windows 10?
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.

run the file BIOS_WIN.bat in the WIN folder.. not sure if it'll work on Windows 10 but worth a shot

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, I'll try.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The batch file ran OK
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The three executables also ran in a command prompt:
AFUWIN.EXE
AFUWINGUI.EXE
AFUWINx64
Does this mean that the bios update was successfully installed? There were no error messages.