Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate IT/networking company.

I have Bose Companion Speakers computer. They just

Customer Question

I have Bose Companion Speakers for my computer. They just quit working. I have checked the wires and they are correct. I have tried the speakers on another computer and they did not work on it either.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Carl. Are you seeing any lights/indicators on the speakers?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Only the light showing the power
is on.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for confirming, Carl. Do you know which specific model bose you have? There have been several companion series over the years
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know the exact model but I bought them about 2006 -2009.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did find this Companion 3 Series11
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Okay that is probably the series 3 model, which was out from about 2004 to 2008, which makes sense based on the issue at hand. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply component or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as these speakers are significantly past their designed service life at this point. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the remote/pod unit) for 60 seconds. If yours doesn't have the power toggle button, just do this with the volume/power knob turned on/up.4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. At that point the system would need to be replaced, they are not designed to be serviceable, there are no parts available, and labor alone would be 2-3x the value of the system.You could get a comparable new replacement model with updated features and a fresh warranty for $100-150. Best regards,Nathan