Asriel
Asriel, Computer Repairer
Experience:  I have been working with and fixing computers for clients for over six years!
60618250

Why wont my dell OptiPlex 755 boot up?

Customer Question

Why wont my dell OptiPlex 755 boot up?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  michelleclive replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.on what screen the computer is stuck on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is not stuck. It wont boot up. I can boot it manually, using the f12 button
set the hard drive as a first boot device in the bios and then save changes and exit then it will boot if the hard drive is good and bookable.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can access setup, but when I go to boot sequence it is locked and cant change anything there.
can you click pictures of the bios pages 1234 and post it here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't think so.
use your cell phone to take photos of the bios screen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't have a cell phone
on the bios screen press F9 and then F10 hit yes and let it boot then let me know if it boots or not.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I do that, I lose you. I would have to shut the computer down.
you can perform the steps and when you are on open your email look for justanswer email and open it then you click on view my answer button the chat will reopen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hit F8 then F9, nothing happened. I tried to boot up, it wont do it.
Same as before
be in the bios screen first and the press the F9 and F10.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hit F9 then F10, nothing happened. Tried to reboot, nothing.
Same as before.
When you go into the bios boot sequence what happens how do you try to change the sequence?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In the boot sequence screen, it says hit enter to access.
When I hit enter, the screen blinks, but I cant get from the left over to the right.
Sometimes the drives on the right have numbers,other times they don't.
you must be having page up page down on + - to change the sequence.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I didn't try that, but the instructions say hit enter to change.
Do you want me to try page up, page down??
yes please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried. All that happened was the cursor moved up and down through the entries on the left side.
Still cant access the right side.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just a second thought. I also tried hitting F8 when booting up to get to safe mode.
That doesn't work either.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are we done trying things. Looks like we are both confused about this thing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, you have been gone over half an hour.
I guess we are finished. I am going to bed.
let me know the time you will be online and available i will continue fixing it. try to use a camera to take a screenshot and post it here about the bios page.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Michelle, I am Roger Marshall and back on line.
Good Morning.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried to send you the picture. Don't know if it worked.
i am sorry i didnt get any attachment. can you upload the picture on www.filedropper.com and let me know the download link.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got a message that the picture was too big. Tried to make is smaller and will try again.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tried again,but still too big.
save the picture in .jpg format or png
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
http://www.filedropper.com/dscn1626
I see now. use the arrow key to select and highlight the harddrive which ever is the bootable one SATA or IDE then you press the page up button to bring that right on the top where you have floppy drive. once its on the top press ESC to exit setup save changes and exit press yes and ok. you are all set to boot up from the hard drive.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
BUT, I cant get the cursor from the right over to the left to do that procedure.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, from the left over to the right.
press enter to jump from left to right
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I press enter, the screen blinks, but it doesn't move over.
do you see the instructions for moving in the screen at the bottom pane of bios windowtry using the plus and minus keys
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did use the plus and minus keys, nothing happens.
Also, when I boot up using F12, I see the hard drive as Hitachi with serial number behind it.
On the bios screen, that drive is not there.
is it an ide drive or sata driveit will not show up as hitachi..but as either ide or sata
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
SATA
so does sata show up in bios under boot sequence
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think, if you got the picture,you should see "onboard hard drive" Not SATA drive.
go to drives on left side pane and let me know what shows under it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was I there. It shows Sata drive 0 and Sata drive 1. If I click on them, it shows their parameters.
these would show up by default as they are drive parametersif you go to f12 menu can you tell me what is written for the hitachi drivethe entire line of text
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, be right back.
ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I forgot, I took the Hitachi drive out and put a Seagate drive in.
It says "Sata0-ST3250312AS
ok and if you select the seagate does the computer boot from it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. I select that entry and push enter. It comes up with the error message and I push F1, then it boots.
well this confirms that hdd is fine but bios is not working correctlyits not updating the boot sequencethis must have happened due to the update not getting installed correctlyat the current state if you attempt a reflash or rollback to older version that will corrupt the bios and can affect the hardware as well
in such a scenario there are 2 options1. to boot from the f12 menu and press f12. replace the motherboard
it would be best to go with option 1 at the momentin future whenever you wish a computer upgrade then you may consider replacing the motherboard as well
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It worked the same before I updated from A19 as it does after I updated to A22.
This update was something I found on the Dell Support Website.
When I updated, it told me that it was successful.
let me know if you have any questions
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, it looks like a hardware problem. I'll have to think about a solution.
if you go to bios screen and then go to boot options, try hitting enter on boot...does it expand the boot menu or nothing happens
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing happens
well i seem to be out of ideas and will open the question to my fellow experts for their opinionyou will be notified on your email as soon as an expert responds
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Justin Williams replied 7 months ago.
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, but it looks like you have a corrupted CMOS which can be cleared with a jumper on the mainboard. -Shut down your computer and unplug. For reasons that ought to be obvious, rooting around inside the computer while the power is on is a really stupid idea.-Open up the case of the computer. The jumper controlling the password ***** be labeled PSWD, and is usually blue. Gently removed the jumper.-Plug in the computer and power it on again. You should get a message saying “password *****”.-Power the computer off, unplug it, and restore the jumper to its original position.-Turn the computer back on and hit F2 to access the BIOS. The settings should be accessible.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, I will try that.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried that. Nothing happened, still cant move the cursor from the left to the right.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And by the way, I never did have a password ***** the computer.
I understand, that clears all the CMOS settings as well as a password (which you didn't have). What happens when you press enter on the "boot sequence" selection in the bios?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The right screen blinks, and nothing else happens.
Something is corrupted in your bios image, I know it. I have seen this exact problem before. Can you manually boot back into your operating system and try reflashing A19 for testing purposes and see if you are then able to change the boot order in bios?http://downloads.dell.com/bios/O755-A19.exe
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, I will give it a try.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am back to A19 revision, but nothing changed.
I am 99% confident this is the solution to your problem, but it is very involved. IT CAN BE FIXED!This issue seems to arise after a BIOS update not completely flashing correctly. This leaves the user unable to change the boot device priority in the BIOS, consequently causing the machine to complain there there is 'No Boot Device Available' Upgrading and downgrading the BIOS via standard means doesn't seem to work; however with certain switches it can be done. Firstly, you'll need the first BIOS release, A01 (O755-A01.EXE), currently available from http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R164252 Secondly you'll also require the latest BIOS release, A22 (O755-A22.EXE), currently available from http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=2DWTYFinally, you'll need either a USB memory stick or hard disk that is capable of booting the machine into DOS. It is recommended that you use the free tool 'Rufus' to create a FreeDOS bootable memory stick. Rufus is currently available from https://rufus.akeo.ie/In addition, you may need to install the service mode jumper on the motherboard; this repair was successfully performed with it enabled, although it *might* work without it installed, although this hasn't been tested. Firstly create a FreeDOS bootable USB device using Rufus. Once complete, copy both the A01 BIOS (O755-A01.EXE) and A22 BIOS (O755-A22.EXE) to the root of the memory stick.Insert the memory stick into the affected computer and press F12 at the BIOS. Boot from the USB stick. Once at the DOS prompt, type: O755-A01 -wipeall -wipeclean Press enter and follow the prompts on screen. After the BIOS has been flashed, the computer should restart. Go into the BIOS and check the Boot Sequence options under System. The boot sequence should now not only display the name of your hard disk, but will also be changeable, allowing your computer to boot normally. Set up your BIOS configuration to your liking (Including setting the date and time) and then Save & Exit. Upon rebooting, press F12 again and once again boot from the USB device.Flash the A22 BIOS the standard way by typing O755-A22 and pressing enter. Follow the onscreen prompts. Once the BIOS has been flashed, check the BIOS settings again to ensure that the Boot Device menu is still accessible. Once complete, make sure to remove the service mode jumper (if installed). FAQWhy does this work?From what I can tell, the earlier BIOS flashing tool includes switches that the later versions do not; -wipeall and -wipeclean are integral to this fix working as they completely erase all BIOS settings that aren't usually erased when the BIOS is updated. For some reason, Dell removed these options from later BIOS update tools.In addition, the earlier BIOS flashing tool actually flashes the BIOS itself under DOS instead of relying on loading the BIOS into RAM and then flashing with routines in the current system BIOS. I've no idea if this makes any difference to the process, but I imagine that it allows for more options to be passed to the flashing routine. Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps someone out! Having recently got my hands on a couple of these machines and having the same issue, it's incredibly frustrating.
This will fix your corrupted bios and allow you to access the boot sequence section.
So basically you are flashing the first revision BIOS in DOS and then reflashing the newest. I can help you on the phone if you need some support attempting this.
You can ignore the part about the service mode jumper.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure where the service mode jumper is, so I probably will ignore it.
I can try what you said to do, but it will take time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got everything done, and at the DOS prompt typed "0755-A01-wipeall-wipeclean.
I got a message that this is a bad entry.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Bad file entry, I guess
Did you put a space after A01 ? It is supposed to be "O755-A01 -wipeall -wipeclean"Also in Windows make sure the 0755-A01.EXE file is on your USB stick; the above command is just referencing that file without the .exe I will gladly help you on the phone to get through this for no additional charge. I will share my contact info, please call if you'd like me to help.
Sorry, it appears I have to charge a $5 minimum for the phone call.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, I didn't put the space in. Guess I didn't see that.
AND, I just called the company where I bought the computer. Found out it is still in warranty, 15 days from now it wont be.
SO, I am going to send it to them to repair or replace.
I feel sure that this is a hardware problem, but I will try your suggestion again, and will put the space in.
Thanks for trying.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried again. I do have bios revision A01 on the computer.
When I tried again it said "bad command for file name 0755-A01"
Expert:  Asriel replied 7 months ago.
Hello! Since the computer is still in warranty, I highly recommend you send it into them now. Come back to us if you still have issues afterwards, but they should be able to fix it for you.