Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have purchased a Power2Go 10 Platinum disk and the serial

Customer Question

I have purchased a Power2Go 10 Platinum disk and the serial # ***** ***** I am an amatuer keyboard musician and I have used P2G 10 to create Data CD's. Each CD holds about 112 songs so 2 disks can hold the total of 225 songs which are just below 1GB of MP3 files in size. I want to give these CD's to others but I do not want them to have the capability to copy them, just to listen to them. Can you help explain how to do this with P2G.
If PTG 10 cannot do this, do you know of any software preferably freeware that can encrypt these MP3 files to be listened to but not to be copied.
The CD data discs I have produced so far can be played on a DVD player set to "Data Music CD" or on my new car's CD player. They will not however play on a multi (5) disk CD player. I also want to distribute my songs on a thumb drive so customers can listen but not copy.
Your help and or suggestions would most welcomed.
Category: Computer Hardware
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
SR number is *****
Expert:  BigDish101 replied 7 months ago.
If the RIAA can't figure out how to do it I don't see how you can. If it can be heard it can be copied via the analog loophole. Putting DRM on a MP3 requires having a service to manage the licensing. So in short, no there is not way to do what you are asking.
Not to mention even if you were able to put DRM on the MP3's then they would only be playable on devices that support DRM like computers and smartphones, MP3 playing DVD players would be out.
Even if you do it as a DVD-Audio disc with DVD encryption there are tools to easily break DVD encryption and copy them.