Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years repairing and installing computers. Comp TIA+ Certified
1567601

I have a lot of music backed up on an Iomega external hard

Customer Question

Hi, I have a lot of music backed up on an Iomega external hard drive but the bulk of it, even though properties shows it's there is not visible and playable to me? I've tried playing around with changing permissions and file attributes but nothing I've done is working. I am not however a computer guru...Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. First I will need to ask a few questions so please be patient. What version of Windows are you using now? Did you copy the files from this computer to the external drive or was it from a different one? Do you know the type of format the files are, i.e. mp3, wav, etc?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
8.1, it was from a different one a long time ago, maybe 7-8 years, a few computers back, but it didn't upset it on the last couple of pcs i've had? they are mp3s
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Okay thank you. Now when you plug it in, if you open Windows or File Explorer and check the drive, can you tell me what the file structure looks like? In other words, can you see any folders or mp3 files?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when I go to properties on it it shows the "collection" as 680 GB. I believe it was originally over a TB, and the drive appears full as it always has...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would like to learn what I did wrong and save some money if possible?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
I don't think you did anything wrong. Have you been able to access the drive contents from this computer using 8.1 before?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are other mp3 files from other folders that are intact
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but the ones i want are now blue in color and I think that is cause I did something wrong
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Can you create a test folder on the Iomega drive now?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sure, hold on
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
done
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Okay good! From this point on, DO NOT change or add any files to the drive. Are you able to copy the files you can see from the drive to a different location?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry, i already starting cleaning out old files i didn't need anymore in case I needed the space
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll try
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
and yes, I was able to copy to my desktop a folder of mp3s from another file on this hard drive, the ones I can still see...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i restored all items from the recycle bin fyi...
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Okay good. What you will need to do is a file recovery on the Iomaga to recover the corrupt files you no longer have access to. This will take some time and the recovery program will attempt to recover the original name, but if it cannot, it will just tag it with a number. That is why I wanted you to copy what you could.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh, well then let me copy everything to another hard drive, this will take time, is there a way to get back to you after that is done?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Just bookmark this page and it will bring you right back to me. Check this LINK for the file recovery software you will need. This is free depending on the size and amount of files needed to recover. It works very well. Let me know if you have any problems.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey Dan, confusing, the HDD is showing that it is copying 2.38 TB but the properties show 9.03 GB free of 1.36 TB capacity? Also, says longer than a day...and the link file is not recommended by my PC, says it is harmful software?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
The link I sent is good. Your antivirus is flagging it for some reason. What is the actual size of the Iomega drive?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1.36 TB but shows that 2.38 on the copy? going to a Seagate that is 3.63 TB
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry, just checking back every now and then, cleaning up around the house in the meantime...
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
I can see why you are confused! Just so I have it straight, I would like to check the specs on the drive. Can you give me the full model number please?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Also, can you check your computer and tell me if it has USB-3 ports? You can tell them apart from the USB-2 ports as the newer faster version 3 will have a blue connector.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do have those and that is what I am running through
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Okay. I found there are numerous problems with the Iomega drives and Windows 8.1 properly detecting files using the USB-3 ports. Don't do anything until the files have finished copying. Let me know when they do please.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Looks like a model number 31804900 LDHD-UP
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
What kind of transfer time are we looking at now?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
18 hours
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
WOW!! Something wrong there, but we don't want to interrupt it and take the chance of any more data loss.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Just thought I would check in to see how the transfer was coming along?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's going :)
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Glad to hear it. Let me know when complete.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still transferring, there was a pause due to me working and it wanting to know what to do about certain file names...now about 9 hours left. I'll let you know when I'm done with the transfer.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Well I sure didn't think it would take this long?? At least you will have all of the good files tucked safely away!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok it's finally done but still can't see any of the old mp3 files :( I'm going to run that recovery program you had me download now
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Okay good. The recovery program will grab everything you ever had written to that drive. The hard part will be determining what you already have copied versus what you have recovered.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Dan, the recovery program is done and it is listing three things Existing PartitionNTFS, special lost files Label and more lost files RAW
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Okay. What you will need to do now is check in the labeled folders it created and recover all of the files with an mp3 extension. Those are the files you are interested in recovering in and moving off the drive and onto your computer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok,thanks, I'll start that process
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Had to upgrade for $70 to start recovery fyi...
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
My apologies for that. That used to be a free program, otherwise I would have warned you of that before hand. Let me know how you come out.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The program only went for a handful of the 1TB of lost music so I clicked on the main file and hit recovery and it has begun on that, I'll update you when done.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Okay good. I will be anxious to see what you recover.