Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience. Expert in various softwares and hardware devices.

The running light on the end of the unit does not come on.

Customer Question

The running light on the end of the unit does not come on. I have two units one is working fine so I used its power cord on the defective unit but the running light still does not illuminate. How can I get the data on the defective drive onto the one that is still operative?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you tell me please the make and model of the units?Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Maxtor: model. Ma tour personal storage 3200
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Thanksif you connect the hard drive to a different USB port on the computer, is it then detected?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As stated previously; unit a is working. I simply plugged the cords going into unit a into unit b. B does not work
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
I am going to opt out of working with your further Loren,you do not need to do anything, you will be notified when another expert takes over.Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I do not have e-mail
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 6 months ago.
Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied. You said you connected data cable of other working unit to this one and checked, can you please connect it on another usb port and another computer ? RegardsJins
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hooked it up to my iMac on a different USB hub. It didn't work. I hooked the max for that is working to the same hub and got an indication that I indeed had a connection to it.
Okay, can you connect it to a Windows computer ? If you are connecting through a USB hub, can you connect directly to the computer's USB port and check ? Can you hear any sound from the disk when you connect it to the computer ? RegardsJins
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No there is no noise when connected to either my iMac or my Dell Microsoft. The light at the end of the unit does not come on either!
Okay, can you please change the power adapter with a working one ? I think the problem is with the power adapter.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have hooked up my iMac with unit a & unit a power cord. I did the same with my Dell. Unit a worked. I hooked up unit b with the same power cord to each of the computers mentioned. Unit b does not come on and when I try to locate it on the computer screen it doesn't appear as an installed device like unit a does.
You should connect power adapter of unit A to unit B and USB cable of Unit a to Unit B. Please refer the image.
First one is an image of Power adapter and second one is USB data cable.
After using both power adapter and usb data cable of unit a on unit b, let me know the result.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am convinced that the unit has a malfunction and the problem has nothing to do with the cabling. I appreciate your time but if you can't suggest how I can fix the hard drive I am going to take it to a "geek" and see if they can transfer my hard drive data to a new hard drive. Thanks again for your time and effort. Sincerely ***** *****
If it is not working with the power adapter and usb cable of unit A, the problem is either with the connector on the hard disk (connector breaking from the main circuit board is a common problem) or with the main circuit board itself. If the drive is under warranty contact the service center. If it is not under warranty, contact the nearest store for data recovery. They can fix the connector or main circuit problem by replacing the needed components. If repair is not possible, they can take out the disk platters from the mount and can recover the data. I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me where I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. RegardsJins