Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L55D on which the DVD player does

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba Satellite L55D on which the DVD player does not seem to be "seating" into my laptop, and is not playing DVDs that I place in it.The door sticks out a little bit. Not much but maybe 1/8th inch.Even when I push/hold the door in, it will not work.What are my options? The player itself seems to be trying to run....I hear things trying to rotate.... but the player is internal to the laptop.Can I possibly fix the mechanism the DVD sits into? Or, do I need an entirely new player? Or... connect an external player?Thank you.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  technicalcat replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. The DVD/CD player is a separate unit that is mounted inside your laptop. If you look closely , you may see a plastic piece attached to the outside of the sliding tray that holds the discs. This piece is mainly for looks, and also provides you a way to push the eject button. What's important is that the drive itself is able to latch closed, and that when you press the eject button, the drive is able to snap open on it's own without you having to force it. So, let me know details on that functionality of open/close/eject, and then we can troubleshoot from there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can open and close the tray. When I press the eject button, the tray does open on its own.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.