Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have an older 7 to 8 year old Maxtor network drive. After

Customer Question

I have an older 7 to 8 year old Maxtor network drive. After many laptops since, I am trying to get my files off of this drive but can't seem to recall the correct password. How if at all can I reset the password ***** the drive?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  technicalcat replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. What is the MODEL name/number of this drive? You can usually find this on the back, bottom, or somewhere stamped on the outside of the drive. Keep in mind, we need the model number, and not the serial number at this time.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Maxtor Shared Storage Drive 300GBThis what it says after Model:
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No actual number.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've never seen a response on my question.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. Please let me know if you still require assistance and I would be happy to help you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've responded to you question with the only information on the label. There is NO model number on the device only the
"Maxtor Shared Storage Drive 300GB" is printed after "Model Number" label. Maybe this is clearer. Now what?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.
I am not the original expert that answered your question, so please bare with me. There are several master passwords that might work, but not knowing the actual model number of the drive will make it difficult as you would need to try all of them. There used to be a master reset, but doing that will wipe the drive so that is most likely not an option. If you like I can send you a list of passwords to try but no guarantees?
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Both of the previous experts have opted out.. This is a difficult situation at best, ***** ***** probably want access to the data on your drive, yet dont have the password. There may be an alternate way to get your files off this drive.. let me ask you this.. Working or not, do you have any of your older laptops still, that used to connect to the maxtor drive?
Expert:  SladeV replied 11 months ago.
My name is***** will help you too the best of my ability. I have had trouble with the Shared Storage Drive II which, had the*****in it do too fan failure. While, it is good that your moving files off the drive you may want too check that since, this had caused, the circuity too fail since, it could not cool. There are programs that could possibly, find the password ***** you but, you may just want too take the drive out, too see about the health if it is still not under warranty and you can easily move files off attached directly too another computer then through a usb; if you know how.