Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

Ix2-dl has upper flashing red LED. Is there software to repair

Customer Question

ix2-dl has upper flashing red LED. Is there software to repair or detect which of the installed 2 TB drives have failed?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  SladeV replied 8 months ago.
My name is***** will help you too the best of my ability. Is it showing that there is a SMART Failure? If the front LED is blinking it's likely just showing hard drive activity going on and not failure.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Mr. May:In addition to the red blinking LED, I received an email from the ix2-dl, essentially saying that operation is degraded likely to a drive failure, it should be repaired as soon as possible. That's great information, but which drive is failing? I have two Seagate 3TB drives in the enclosure. I could easter egg to find which one, but I'd rather have a more definite solution.Respectfully, ***** *****
Expert:  SladeV replied 8 months ago.
I am not familiar with ix20dl file. I would try and run a Error Check on both of the drives, too make sure if your using them as dual backups. The quickest way would be too disable the one drive and see if the problem comes up. You said that there in a enclosure and will have too remove the bad drive any way too put in the new good one. It can also, be a false report where the connection may need reconnected cause, of dust and dirt
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ah. Now we come to the crux of it. How to run an error check on the drives? They are 3 TB Seagate drives - is there an OS X software test version that will run a check on a shared drive? I have already checked the SATA pins and reinstalled/rebooted the drives. After the drive enclosure completes the data striping, it comes up with the drive failure indication.
Expert:  SladeV replied 8 months ago.
That will make it harder too determine since there Striping. I am not familiar with MAC OS and was assuming that it was running on Windows as a regular backup drive. I do not believe that I can assist anymore, since I am not able too.