hongkongpom
hongkongpom, MCDST
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer hardware problems
40928634

HOGAN exclusively!!! Michel, So, I have this PC, with an SSD

Customer Question

For MICHAEL HOGAN exclusively!!!Hi, Michel,So, I have this PC, with an SSD as a main HD, which was an upgrade, it didn't come originally on a PC, which is an all-in-one (everything inside screen) ATIV Series 5.
When SDD was installed and the PC Was booted from the old HD which was put into external HD case and booted from as USB3 drive, the Samsung Migration Utility that came with SDD, formatted it in such a way, that it created a 100 Mb, System, Active partition on it called SDD_RESERV and the main 299 Gb, System, Active, *Boot* partition which becomes C:This is what I see through Computer Management/Disk Management utility when I look at this disk.But that's not how it shows up to external world after the boot.When I look at it via Partition Wizard Professional 9, it's the it's the SSD_RESERV partition that shows as Boot.So it tricks and swaps it some how.The bot***** *****ne of it is, when I try to upgrade to Windows 10 (which it has been offering me for last 8 month, the compatibility is confirmed, and now it says that the free offer is very soon going to be over) the upgrade process tries to write the SSD_RESERV and fails to write it reserved system partition and aborts. So I cannot upgrade.So my question to you:Is there any way to either:1) migrate off SSD to External USB3 drive (while keeping all my software as part of that install of course), do upgrade to Win10 on USB3 drive and then migrate back to SSD as if it was a new SSD?OR2) Get rid of that SDD_RESERV partition (e.g. Merge with the main one using MiniTool Partition Wizard 9), so that I can upgrade to Win10Or any other creative idea to upgrade to Win10.Constrains/circumstances/FYI:-I have Windows 7 Professional on my PC with 16 Gb RAM and have 1T and 500G external drives to use and for temp storage as part of this project. The PC boots from USB ports and disks attached to them no problem (...at least I can say that about USB slash drives, External HDs -- I assume will be the same, as by BIOS has functionality to load SCSI drivers, but I don't believe there were any special drivers for these external HDs. I do have external USB flash, but the size won't fit all my applications under Windows. 128 Mb is the top I might to pull and even that that is questionable.-I have number of licensed soft that I want to keep installed as I don't have activation keys to re-install in-SDD_RESERV has been throwing out "running of space" last several month;--It does look like SSD_RESERV has boot files, not sure where they are only there OR the original copies of them exist on the main partition.--I am virtually 100% sure that currently the system actually boots from SSD_RESERV (for speed), although C: shows in Computer management/Disk Management/Partitions as a "Boot" partition (again, in MiniTool Partition Wizard 9 -- I think this is just to trick users into non-existence of SDD_RESERV.--although I got MiniTool Partition Wizard Professional 9 (with impressive commercial client list), I myself do not have experience using it and would prefer some help to make sure I don't ruin my main disk.
I tried to simply copy Disk to Disk from this SSD to a traditional HD of the larger capacity using MiniTool, for which it reboots the PC and starts batch process before the PC boots from C:, but this did not work out for whatever reason, didn't have time to research deeper...Would appreciate very much if you could help (see -- data ontology is not practical here).I'm open for you to remote into my PC to save time on only talk, and get on Skype (or other video converse ding services) with me on iPad, or second monitor (for you) or just for audio on the phone call (if video call options are unavailable to you), in parallel so the we can communicate while you are poking in my PC and we can go through this more expeditiously.(Before making any offers for remote and Skype using features of the site, please mention that you are doing that in plan text in a message, since I am on a mobile app platform and will not see them unless I know to go to the computer.)Thanks a lot!!!!!
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 9 months ago.

OK, thank you Zac... I'm looking this over to see what you need done.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how you feel about this problem? Can you help?There are a few ways to we can try to go about it. The I was thinking of:To try and to consolidate these two partitions into one on an new external bootable USB3 drive.
One we have such partition, we can boot from it, and copy it to the internal SSD drive (which, btw, is NOT a hybrid 8G SSD + the rest RPM HD, that Lenovo was making, where a small partition is required, so this SSD is all entirely solid and does not necessarily need this partition, it's just for performance to have what boots in one small partition).Then we can try to either:a) upgrade to Win10 on external drive and migrate over to SSD using the Samsung Utility which would again create a SDD_RESERV partition,Orb) upgrade to Win10 on the that merged partition on internal SSD, and hopefully Win10 has some embedded features to optimize internal disk layout of SSDs for faster boot.I am sure there are multiple options for optimizing SSD boot performance afterwards, and I can explore them afterwards. This is beyond the scope of this question for sure.What I need primarily is some hand-holding when merging partitions using this MiniTool utility I have (it's supposed to be the best in class for things like that, but I have not been doing this high air acrobatics with disks, partitions and operating systems for quite a few years now, although used to be an ace in it, so just would appreciate a co-pilot, or would be glad to pass on a wheel to somebody who is more current on this than me.(I think I told you that my trade took me into the direction of logical data management, data modeling, ontology study, metadata, with a very heady influx of business problematic, into which I had to immerse myself, such as finance and banking regulatory space... So this stuff is a sweet memories to me, but I still have some good background memories left... So not completely clueless.)Let me know if you want to remote in and check things out, and try what I have discerned.
We can try another product for partition management of you are more comfortable with it, if you have installation credentials for my PC. I myself am not familiar with neither of these products. In my time we were doing fixing MBR and FAT using more rudimentary tools, or PC doctor suite, whatever happened to it.Thanks.
(And I hope this is more or less up you alley, I am sorry if I assumed wrongly, but I saw NY the type of questions you've covered that this would be within your competency, although I know that your specialty is Network Architect, Designer, Admin, and you are one of the best out there, built one of the largest email installations in the world (correct?), and I am sure many other impressive things.
It's just this kind of stuff comes with the territory (and is that very commodity we talked about for which you can charge $65 or so a pop .... :-)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 9 months ago.

Hello please confirm that the computer will not boot with just the new SSD, you need the HDD in the external USB enclosure to boot?

​Of course the computer will boot from the old HDD by itself?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, the PC does boot from the embedded SSD (i.е., the one connected to the internal SATA3 bus that my PC motherboard board has).The problem is that on that SSD, there is a SSD_RESERV partition created by Samsung utility when I was migrating Win7pro system HD, which I connected via USB3 external enclosure and replaced it on the motherboard's SATA2 bus with a new SSD which I bought it, and connected it
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
which I purchased to upgrade the old "RPM" HD.
Now, this SDD_RESRV partition on my system SSD drive, is marked as BOOT and is not writable, which prevents Win10 to upgrader to upgrade my system.
But the system is working, although it is severely out of space on this SSD_RESERV partition and causes system to reboot every second day. But it works.
So my plan was, to consolidate two partitions from SSD (SSD_RESERV is only 100 Mb with basic boot image, I suppose, and the se on petition is 300 GB - 100 Mb, which represents my drive C:) - consolidate them into a new expernal USB3 HD drive, and then boot from it (my PC can boot perfectly from USB) and either do upgrade to Win10 having the system disk being external USB disk and the migrate that to SSD as if I am just upgrading to SSD for the first time?
OR
Copy the merged petition from external USB with Win7pro to SSD and upgrade to Win10 after having booted from internal SSD with one partition, so that there is no error with not being able to write to a system boot partition, which the upgrade program throws out and quits now when I try to perform the upgrade.As a tool for working thing, I have installed and have a license for MiniTool Partition Wizard Professional Edition 9, a leading product for manipulating partitions and copying disks.If this is not clear, let's get on the phone, remote into my PC and see this for yourself, because this is becoming bringing diminishing return on both our effort invested in descriptions, I hope you'd agree.I am available this weekend.
Let's do it.

Thank you,

​There is any easy way and hard way to do this I believe...easy way first

1) Put everything back the way it was and make sure the computer boots from the old HDD as before. If yes, then with the SSD in the USB3 enclosure, format it completely. Firstly though you should image the HDD onto another HDD for security. Then use the Samsung Migration facility to copy all partitions from the HDD to the new SSD. After that you should be able to replace the HDD with the SSD on its own and boot from that.

2) If you want to try the hard method which I have used a couple of times is firstly image both the HDD & SSD in case something goes wrong, Then follow this thread from step 4 which shows how to merge the boot & system partitions together.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1) I can't put everything back on HHD, the Samsung Migration utility doesn't work backwards.
The only other way would be to merge the read-only BOOT partition with the main C: partition on SSD and write the result to the external HDD.2) As to the second option:
There is only SSD in question, no HDD. The external HDD I was mentioning was only for temporary purposes, all I care of saving and upgrading is the internal SSD. And I can use external HHD or two or three to make it happen.
I will check out your link.
Thanks.

Ok sorry I'm confused I thought the old HDD was in original condition and that you could boot from it. Do you mean you have wiped the HDD?

​The migration tool as you know allows you to clone your old drive to your new SSD

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was confused at first as I thought that Mike Hogan as working on this question.
Did you pick it up from the very beginning or after he released it? Just want to understand. -- nothing wrong.

Hello no I am not Mike. I saw that he had replied to you but then left you hanging

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, right, he did.

To be honest if you have the original HDD with all your files I would start over again. It's easier than trying to merge partitions etc

Put your SSD in the external drive and then use the Samsung tool to clone your old HDD to your new SSD and bob's your uncle

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I have lived with this SSD for a year. Even if I had the original drive, things have changed. It wouldn't be current.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I need to merge partitions, because the way this utility creates 100 Mb Boot partition (which system and read-only) Win10 cannot upgrade the system.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is "bob's your uncle" advice suppose to mean?

Sorry I didn't know you had used this SSD for a year already.

In this case following the blog from step 4 is your only option if you want to keep legacy programmes.

My advice still stands about making an image of both drives before you start this. I use Clonezilla which you can boot up of to make the back up images to another drive.

To get licence keys of your installed software you can use this tool Magical Jelly Bean.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK.
But What "both drives" do you keep talking about though?

Hello I mean the HDD & SSD.

Please read the whole blog over a couple of times from step 4. If you have are asked to format any partition during the process you have not done the actions correctly.

I just want you to have imaged both drives to other drives (since you say you have spares) just in case something goes wrong.

Good luck!

If you are only using the SSD then you can make an image onto a HDD of the SSD so you have backed up your SSD before you attempt from step 4 to merge the partitions on the SSD.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was trying to make an image of my SSD but my utility (MiniTool Partition Wizard Professional 9, which even puts my PC into a special mode to make a copy and does it after the reboot), breaks in that operation for some reason...
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 8 months ago.

Hello there ok I would use the Clonezilla tool I mentioned above to make an image, You boot up with the tool so that Windows isn't involved and then you should be able to clone the SSD.

​I am understand now that you only have the SSD in your computer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What does this Magical Jelly Bean do exactly and in which cases I may be required to used it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
BTW, I am not finding that easily any useful instructions at the "4th step" by the link that you sent me. The 4th link at the bottom is about what I am asking, but if you follow it, there is nothing really helpful to actually how to do anything, except the discussion about the tool which I have (not which you recommended, and which I downloaded and installed in USB drive under Linux, but still can't copy the SSD disk to another external HHD drive.)We can do a Skype session where I will have you on the iPad and will let you see my PC screen when I try to do it, so you can tell me what I am doing wrong.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But on Friday or next weekend.

Hello there, Jelly Bean is to grab all the registry keys that you said you don't have anymore if you have to reinstall any of your programmes for any reason

​Clonezilla is only used to make an image of the SSD drive so you have a back up image (image all partitions on the SSD if you have more than one) in case things go wrong when you start following step 4 in in the link. There you will use the programme that step 4 recommends.

After you have made an image of the SSD you can then use the programme mentioned in step 4 to try to move the boot & systems files to a single partition which will then allow you to install Windows 10.

If something goes wrong, you can use Clonezilla to put the backed up image partitons back on the SSD so you don't lose everything.