Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I am running a Dell PC with Win 10. I have a nearly new USB

Customer Question

I am running a Dell PC with Win 10. I have a nearly new USB 3 external hard drive. It has been running fine and showing up as a connected hard drive. Yesterday it no longer appears with my other hard drives to be able to open it. When disconnecting or when reconnecting, I get the connection tones, so it is being "felt" but it does not appear. Other USB flash keys when inserted show up. I have uninstalled it in Device Manager and restarted but it still does not show up. I have uninstalled and then scanned for new hardware, but still it is not visible with the other hard drives. What can I do to get it to show up as a hard drive on my PC?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it make any clicking noise or strange noise?

To confirm, the new USB 3.0 external hard drive does show up in Device Manager, but it does not show up in File Explorer / windows explorer.

- Can you please go to Disk Management (in Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools)and see if the drive is there? You can also press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type diskmgmt.msc then click OK, then it will open Disk Management.)

Please let me know. Thank you.

Do you still need help with the external hard drive? When you are available, please reply at the box below, so I can help further. Thank you.