Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I want to hook up an external device using a VGA connection.

Customer Question

I want to hook up an external device using a VGA connection. How do I do that?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I have to ask first: What external device are you trying to hook up, please? maker and model # ***** do, to indicate the exact details.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Amazon Firestick

OK, thanks for the response and info.

An Amazon Firestick hooks up to the HDMI port of your TV. The HDMI port has to be the type that fits your Amazon Firestick dongle's metal end.

Do you need setup instructions? And oh, by the way, about your original question: it can't be done directly via VGA. How were you thinking of getting such an unlikely-sounding thing done? through some other device, or with some accessory, or how?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have a HDMI port only a VGA port. I need to know how to access the VGA port with a change in the video source on my remote.

Well... what device, a TV perhaps? are you trying to get the Firestick to work with?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mitsubishi Medallion.

OK, you could try the Firestick with this adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Mnxo%C2%AE-Female-Video-Adapter-Convertor/dp/B00J0X4B6W

but be it noted, though one information source swears this adapter + Firestick will work on a TV, on the other hand they also say it won't work with an HDTV... and the image quality may be lower than expected, too. Is the Medallion model an HDTV?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Then you can try the Firestick with the adapter but it *may* perhaps not work. That's the most authoritative answer I can find to offer you.

(Perhaps, if it doesn't, then disabling HDTV mode on the Medallion, in its MENU options, would make it work. If the Firestick-through-adapter doesn't provide HDTV signal, then it would make sense that it wouldn't work, but could work at lower resolutions / in non-HDTV modes.)