Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Networking, hardware, software, various OS's, Email Web and domain hosting, DNS
63493917

My NV5209h will not boot up.

Customer Question

My NV5209h will not boot up.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Shefin replied 10 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Remove all external devices, CDs, AC Adapter and battery from the computer. Keep the AC Adapter and battery unplugged.
Hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. (Nothing will appear on the display and none of the lights will light up.)
Plug in the ac adapter ONLY. (Please note that a power indicator light should be lit on the ac adapter when it is plugged in).
Normally power on the notebook.
If the unit does not power on, remove the ac adapter and insert the battery into the system.
Plug the ac adapter back into the system, the battery charging indicator light will light up.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The battery is charging but the screen is still black and no key board response.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Shefin replied 10 months ago.

Are you able to remove the battery?

After removing the battery and AC Adapter, insert the AC Adapter only. Only with AC Adapter, press the power button and let me know the response. Even if it is a single blink from the power button.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did follow all of your first requests.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The power and battery lights are both on still black screen.
Expert:  Shefin replied 10 months ago.

Are you able to remove the computer rear cover, remove the RAM sticks, wait for two minutes and reinsert it again properly?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Finally got the cover off. What do the ram sticks look like and where would they be located?
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 10 months ago.

Hello James....are you still in need of help with this issue?

.

I dont agree with Shefin about removing the RAM sticks, and then Reinserting.....unless....you have recently done a RAM upgrade...and there was a possible issue with how YOU installed the RAM sticks.

.

But if you have to ASK where the RAM sticks are, and what they look like....then im 100% sure you have NEVER touched the RAM sticks before.....therefore....you should NOT need to touch them NOW. So....having you remove and then reinsert the RAM sticks.....makes NO SENSE!

.

So....if you would like to work with a more logical technician.....let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
please . I have already pulled out and replaced the ram. I think you should call me because I don't know how long this computer will stay on line. Old desk top computer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My cell is(###) ###-####

Calling wont help.....as much as you would like to think it would......theres a lot of THINKING that goes on.....and during these times.....im silent.....and NEED the silence to concentrate.....in addition......i use my computer to search things......so honestly a phone call will only COST you more....but wont add any value.

.

I have YOUR best interest at heart here.....i woudl NOT last long as a technician if i didnt....LOL

.

In any case.....i think we should just try to continue and chance it.

.

But about the computer that WONT boot......HOW OLD IS IT? What year did you purchase it?

.

Because it is a Laptop (requires specialty proprietary parts)....you MAY not be able to fix it, because the parts needed are discontinued and are proprietary.

.

But, lets not get ahead of ourself.

.

DO you have ANOTHER monitor you can connect this laptop to? This is the FIRST step in troubleshooting this laptop....you NEED to get another monitor you can hook up to this laptop.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
4 years old bought in Calgary. I have another monitor and I will try it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did not work.

So, the second monitor is showing a BLACK screen as well?

.

Did you make sure the laptop was powered OFF when you connected the second monitor....and THEN you turn on the laptop. Is this the procedure you took? If not....try again using that procedure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try restart.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Reboot monitor shows check signal cable.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The cable is plugged securley into the laptop.

Okay, now with the laptop ON, and the second monitor connected......on the keyboard we need to push the external monitor button.

.

It should be the F4 button. Howver you need to hold DOWN the Fn button first....then push F4.

.

So, hold the Fn button (bottom left of keyboard) and hit the F4 button.

That should send the signal to the second monitor.

.

Make Sense?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did it still nothing.

And you are certain that the laptop is turned on? The power light is lit?

Also, the F4 button might be the wrong button.....i just assumed it was the F4...because that is what the manual says...but it could be different on your laptop.

.

We are looking for a little symbol.

I attached it here so you can see what im talking about......then on your keyboard look for that symbol, and then tell me what button it is....ok?

The symbol on your keyboard needs to look VERY similar to symbol i showed you on the picture.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did it. Now what?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still no good

Well, at this point i have to declare you have a hardware failure.

.

It could be the Motherboard, it could be the CPU, or it could be the Video Graphics processor.

.

No matter which one it is....it will cost more to fix, than to replace.

.

However, you may be able to SAVE the data that is on the hard drive. Removing the hard drive form the laptop, and then connecting the hard drive to a different DESKTOP computer to copy the data off the hard drive.....before it too fails.

.

Keep in mind that laptops especially, are only engineered to last about 3-5 years. And with this laptop being around 4 years old.....im not surprised it has failed.

.

I also doubt that this computer is still under warranty.....again because of its age being 4 years old. However you could have gotten an extended warranty....did you?

.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.....but im afraid this computer is now beyond being financially logical to repair....unless you can get it repaired under warranty.

.

Please take a moment to rate my performance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks

Honestly All things point to the Mainboard (aka Motherboard) failure.

.

Laptops require SPECIAL motherboards.....and you cant just run down to bestbuy and get one....like you would for a desktop. Desktops follow a standard.....while laptops DO NOT. Laptops come in all shapes and sizes, and typically are much more expensive to repair.

.

Did you have any other questions? Can i ask you to take a moment and rate my performance.