Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have new computer with windows 10... my iomega external

Customer Question

I have new computer with windows 10... my iomega external drive has an error that states that the last time it was plugged in a malfunction occured and windows could not recognize it can u help me?
IOMEG
model # *****
P/N 31722701
S/N DYBJ0200VC
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please which version of windows you are using and which Drive letter the drive is showing as?

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
windows 10 and I cant even find the drive that it is showing as I really don't like windows 10 too hard to get around for me
anyway, this external hard drive works perfect with my computer with windows 7
can u help me even find the Drive on windows 10?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Ok, press the windows key + E

And you should see it under This PC

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
where do I find the windows +E
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

The windows key is the key with the windows icon on it, it is to the left of ALT

E is the letter E key, you press these together

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, it just shows C and DVD drive
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, if you connect the drive back to the windows 7 computer now, is it showing up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
as F drive it works just fine on that computer
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

you did this within 2 minutes? As I really need you to test now please, to confirm

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it is still on other computer now
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok... but when I gave you the instructions to do, you had to have the drive connected to the computer when doing them...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did connect to computer with windows 7 and works fine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
u actually never gave me any instructions only ask if connect to windows 7 if it showed up I guess I don't understand what u are wanting me to do now
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

sorry but I do not think your following the instructions. I will again repeat as its not possible to do them all as quick as your indicating and we need to be sure.

You connect it to the windows 10 computer, press the windows key + E and check for the drives under This PC

then connect it back to the windows 7 computer and tell me if its then detected.

Please do the instructions in this order. As you asked how to find the drive on windows 10 when I gave the instuctions, I did not see there was a misunderstanding. sorry if I got that wrong.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did all of that
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I am not sure thats possible within 2 minutes, but connect the drive to the windows 10 computer

Tell me when you have.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
drives c and dvd
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

press windows key + X and click on Disk Management

Tell me when you have please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, in the window that opened, tell me what is listed there please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
a lot of info but states that all is Healthy is that what u mean?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

no, there are a list of drives there, I need to know the drives listed please.

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, well apparently this IS NOT A LIGITAMENT WEB SITE.... asking for more money to help with problems...I will be reporting this and also will stop payment thru PayPal....
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

It is legitimate, and when you read the message I sent you it tells this is an additional service that you can take advantage of or we continue here. As there were challenges having you do the instructions I offered this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will be reporting this site and will not offer to recommend to anyone else...
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, just provide a link to this page so out interaction here can be seen.

Thanks and all the best.