Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Networking, hardware, software, various OS's, Email Web and domain hosting, DNS
63493917

I have a tachi HTS54161J9SA00 external hard drive. I

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. I have a Hitachi HTS54161J9SA00 external hard drive. I inadvertantly repartitioned it by creating a back up disk for my home computer which of course (and to my dismay) erased all my back up information. Once I realized this, I 'returned the device to factory settings' however, the partitioning for the home computer hard drive hasn't been removed and now it shows I am out of room despite my adding few files. How do I erase this partitioning and get back the factory settings so I can save other data?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: those are the details, not sure what you are looking for!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Electronics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: not long as i am at work. i don't mind paying IF you can quickly solve the issue without purchase of additional items...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

A partition is like a logical hard drive, and the OS treats the partition as if it were a hard drive in itself. Which means it gets a drive letter, and has a size limit NOT associated to the hard drive itself.

.

When you partition, what actually is happening is that the table of contents was erased, NOT the data persay. However, without the table of contents, there is no way to tell, where one file starts, and another files ends.

.

SO, to sum it up, if you partition a hard drive, and it erased data to do so.....then the data is gone.

.

You can use DISC MANAGEMENT SNAP-IN for windows to partition and repartition hard drives.

.

I can do this for you, and show you how, with a remote session, normally a second charge, but because of the holiday season, i will do it for free.

.

Are you up for it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My hard drive is external and not part of the laptops operating system. I used it as back up only. Will what you propose still work?

Yes, it should still be recognized even if it is an External USB drive, in the MMC Snap-In for Windows.

.

Again, if you want me to do a Remote Session, i would be happy to......just accept this answer, and hit the 5 star for rating, and i will do a remote session without the secondary charge.....making it free, as it normally would be a secondary charge.