Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience installing networks for small and large companies. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
23372949

Using HP laptop with HP3520 prinnter. My 3520 had been

Customer Question

Customer: Using HP laptop with HP3520 prinnter. My 3520 had been working wirelessly - on and on for some months. The off part: when the printer would get a jam, or would run out of paper it would somehow lose its wireless connection. I would troubleshoot without apparrent success. Then, sometimes days later the printer would come alive, print backed up pages, and work ok again. Until this time. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the hp software two or three times, each time getting the final message that "your printer has failed to join the wireless network", along with some advice that "MAC addressing" could be the problem. I look into the modem and see "MAC addressing not active, or something like that. This problem has cost me hours and hours over more than a week. Verizon help desk says my modem (a D-Link model DSL2750B) tests OK, and says "call HP". PLEASE HELP if you can.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Computer Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Who decides that?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

when you go through the install

do you connect the printer to the computer with a usb cable when it asks you to?

that is how the install software changes the settings in the printer to allow it to attach to the network so the computer can find it when the usb cable is removed