Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Since the Tandy II Ive been utilizing and repairing hardware components. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My Computer was stating that it was unable to read

Customer Question

My Computer was stating that it was unable to read harddrive, is it possible to somehow recoup the info on the harddrive, its very important. I put it into another laptop and it wasnt detected there either? It was in computer that had been dropped once or twice and it came on slowly, giving me the error, id shake laptop and turn it back on and it would be fine.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Ive been in your situation many times, and I know exactly how we need to proceed. First things first, to repair the hard drive and recover the files, we need to connect t he hard drive to a working computer. Since the hard drive wont boot when we connect it internally, we need to connect the hard drive externally via a usb cord. To do this, we need a special cord set which you can order here for 10$ http://amzn.to/1SjeEOy

Once you have that cord set, we then can connect the hard drive via the usb cord to a running computer. And at that point we should be able to either A.. read the files on the drive and copy them to the working computer. Or B, run a few repairs on the hard drive such as chkdsk, so that we can pull the files from it.

I dont want to go too in depth into the process as we wont know how easy or tough it will be until the moment we connect the hard drive to the computer using the cable set above.

So once you receive that cable set in the mail, please send a response so you and I can continue working this issue together.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.