Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I connected my maxtor one touch drive to my windows 10 dell

Customer Question

I connected my maxtor one touch drive to my windows 10 dell laptop for the first time.
it connected fine. I was able to transfer some files to my laptop from the external drive.
Then the drive froze. I rebooted the system and cannot see the Maxtor one touch any more. I went to the disk manager and cannot see the drive there either.
However each time I switch the drive one, I hear a USB connecting sound but the drive does not show up in explorer on my laptop.
I am okay in paying the $48 as long as the issue is resolved.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  sjena1982 replied 11 months ago.

Hi , Welcome to justanswer.com

As this is not showing up in computer it might be due to the USB port issue or driver isse .

Have you tried in another computer's USB port .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried 3 USB ports. I changed the USB cable and tried with a different cable.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The drive does show up in the devices and printers section - as ATAPI 6 Bridge controller
The drive does not show up in the disk manager
I keep hearing the sound - again and again - when a device is connected to the USB port
I used it yesterday after 2-3 years. It did work and I was able to view and copy data. After about 15 minutes the drive stopped working.
The light on the drive is on - so power supply seems to be fine
I also connected another USB external drive to the laptop and the port works fine.
It seems to have a problem to connect - I looked on google and a lot of people seen to be having a problem with the Maxtor drives.
Does it require some type of a firmware update - not sure where to find it and how to install it

Press Windows logo + R

type devmgmt.msc

press ENTER

Device manager will open up

There expand the Universal Serial Bus Node and there locate the driver for Unknown device and right click it and uninstall

Then restart the computer and re-connect the USB cable .

Let me know how it goes ..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had tried exactly what you indicated earlier and the again now after I received your message. Followed everything you had asked me to do. After uninstalling the USB mass storgage driver, Just restarted the laptop as indicated. It shows that the USB mass storage device is connected without the exclamation mark.
However I keep hearing the sub connecting sound.
I clicked in the driver and under events is shows device USB\VID .... Could not be migrated.
On the time stamp it shows the device not started.
Not sureness that means.
Can you please advise

Try this

1. Press the Windows logo key+R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password ***** for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\

You should see a long list of registry subkeys that resemble:

4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

Note Each 32-digit subkey is unique and corresponds to a particular type, or class, of hardware in Device Manager.
  4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. ClickUpperFilters only.
    If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 9.
  5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
    Note If you do not see the LowerFilters or UpperFilters registry entry, this method is not for you.
  8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  10. Exit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer and let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I bought a USB controller kit for the hard drive for $6.99 and changed the controller. The disk works fine, now.

Ok Great .

Glad to know