Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

Have an Acer X1420G-U5832. After installing a video card in

Customer Question

Have an Acer X1420G-U5832. After installing a video card in the extra slot, device manager does not register that a card has been added. Any suggestions?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 11 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I ask for the brand and model name of the video card?

I will be standing by.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Radeon HD5450

May I ask into which slot you are putting the video card?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
PCI Express x16
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have to go out for a few hours . . . how do I check back with you later?
You can come back to this page or click the link that was just sent to your email.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any more info you need from me?

No, I was just awaiting your return. May I start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't want to spend that much to try to get the card working. Can you determine if there is any validity to the web reports that this Acer machine just does not recognize ANYTHING in the x16 slot?

The card should be recognized. In such cases, the culprit is more often than not, the power supply. Did you install a new power supply with more power or are you using the stock power supply?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Using the one that came with the original machine . . . think it is a 220 watt . . . but the power requirements that I could find on this video card say it only uses 30 watts or so. If the power supply is overloaded, would the system possibly just not recognize the card at all? Would I be able to see a difference in the physical attributes of the system (heat, etc.) with the card out and then in?

It is difficult to say how the power supply would effect the system in such cases. Is the card known to be good and working?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, bought it new a good while ago and just opened the box to install. Have another computer I could try it in but would take a while to get back to you with the results on that. Is there any way to test the x16 to see if it is ok?

As long as you don't have it disabled in the BIOS/CMOS, it should be working. If you have another card you can test, you can do that. Please, test the card in another computer and verify that it is indeed, working. I will be standing by. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok.

Thank you