Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

After installing Windows 10 on my Thinkpad T400 I no longer

Customer Question

After installing Windows 10 on my Thinkpad T400 I no longer have audio, cannot use my HP Laserjet 4 or Acer remote monitor. Is there a fix for these problems?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you

Sir/Ma'am there have been some compatibility issues with windows 10 but we can try to fix the issue but before continuing could you please let me know

Which is the previous operating system installed in the Laptop?

Please provide the full model of the Thinkpad T400 which you can find on the bottom of the laptop?

When you say remote monitor do you mean external monitor connected to the Thinkpad laptop if so what type of cable is used to connect is it VGA,DVI or HDMI?

Sincerely,

Note: - Please keep this conversation/Chat page opened to view my replies quickly. To reply back to me use the reply box below. You will also get email notification in your email too.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The model number for the Thinkpad is 2764-CTO. I have upgraded from Windows 7 PRO 64 bit
I have resolved the remote monitor issue with a change in settings
The HP laserjet 4 is connected via a USB cable. The audio is integrated audio in the Thinkpad
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for all the details and good to know that you have resolved the Acer external monitor issue.Most likely the other issue occur due to incompatible drivers.I will give you some drivers to download and install.Let see if that fixes the issue.Is the printer you have is HP LaserJet 4 Plus printer.

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It is not a 4 Plus just a Laserjet 4
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for checking the model but that model doesn't seems to be showing in the list.

May i remote access to your PC and check the issue you are facing directly. It’s secure and also you can see what all I am doing in the PC. Let me know so that I can give you the link to do that.

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

OK then could you please re-check the model for the printer and let me know.

Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

Sir were you able to find the full model of the HP laserjet printer?

Sincerely,

Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

First remove the current audio driver from device manager to do that press windows key + R key that will open run box in that type devmgmt.msc and press enter that will open device manager now expand sound,video and game controllers (it may also show as Audio driver in device manager)and see if it shows Conexant Audio driver listed in it if so remove it by right clicking on it and then click on uninstall after uninstallation close device manager and restart the PC,see if that fixes the issue if not download and install the audio driver from the following web link

To download audio driver please click on this link http://tinyurl.com/pyk58dt once you have downloaded it install it.After the installation restart the PC and see if that fixes the sound issue.Check it and please let me know also let me know the full printer model too so that i can get the correct driver for it.

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The audio driver solution corrected that problem. Thank you
The display problem is really a hot key issue. I can activate the second display using settings but not with the hot key
The printer is a LaserJet 4 that is the entire model number. I went into device management and there is no driver installed for the printer
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for the update.Please download the hotkey utility using this link http://tinyurl.com/q2c68c3 download and install it then see if the the hotkey for monitor working

That printer doesn't show any driver for windows 10 so it can be incompatible with windows 10.You can try to get it using the windows 10 update feature in control panel.When you connect and turn on the printer does it even show up in the device manager as yellow exclamation which says driver required or conflict.

How old is this printer?

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The printer is 22 years old. In the device manager it shows up as an unknown device.
When applying the driver fixes it was necessary to reboot the system. The Windows 10 startup or return from hibernation does not present the login page or any page (blank screen). I have to close the lid of the laptop to put it into standby. When I open the lid and the system comes out of standby it presents the log in page.
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

It seems like the printer is not compatible that is why it is not starting up the windows 10 properly.Login to windows 10 then see if the printer working or not if not remove the unknown driver also remove the usb connection from the laptop to printer.Restart the laptop and see if its booting to windows properly.

Did the hot key software i gave above worked for monitor switching?

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The hot key software did work. Thank you.
I removed the USB connection to the printer. There was no driver for the unknown device.
The start process for Windows10 still does not bring up the login screen.
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you i wasn't online when you replied.Good to know that the hotkeys are working now.

I am confused about the windows 10 start-up issue because if you weren't able to get the login screen how are you logging in to windows 10 and checking the device manager for unknown driver?

What is the screen it shows after the windows 10 loading screen is it just blank ?

Could you please explain it in detail.

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
John,How I get around the issue is to close the lid on my laptop and the system go into standby. When I then open the lid and the system comes out of standby it presents the login screen. When I initially boot the system or come out of hibernation I get the multiblock Windows 10 logo and then the screen goes blank and stays blank
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for the details.Did this problem started after you tried to install the printer?

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No - after I installed Windows 10
Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

OH OK that means its not an issue you mentioned in this question,its another issue which is not related to this driver issues.Let me check if there is any possible fixes if not you need to open it as a new question.Will get back to you in a couple of minutes

Sincerely,

Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

Sir please check device manager to see if there is any other driver conflicts other than printer,if you don't see any other driver conflicts then expand display adapter and update the drivers for it.If its showing no new updates then let me know the name of the display adapter showing in it.

Sincerely,

Expert:  John replied 12 months ago.

Sir were you able to update the display/video driver?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The display driver was updated with the install of Windows 10 - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400. There is no newer update available.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the update i want you run this tool which will automatically check,download and install the latest versions of driver from ATI site itself http://tinyurl.com/q53b93d

Once its updated restart the PC and check it.If that doesn't work then right click on the start menu in the lower left corner and select command prompt (Admin) like shown in this image

Once the command prompt is open please run the following command

sfc /scannow (there is a space between sfc and /scannow there is no space between / and scannow) Then press Enter. That will check the operating system file integrity and do necessary fixes after that restart the PC and check it.

Let me know the result

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have downloaded the AMD scan tool. When I execute it - the message says that it can not connect to the AMD web site. I have tried downloading several times. I went to the AMD site and it indicates that they do not not support Windows 10 or 8.1 for this version of their graphic adapter. They recommend using a specific Windows driver. That is the driver installed with Windows 10.I will run the disk scan
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the update.Run the OS file scan and let me know the result.

You can try this legacy AMD driver for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3000 series http://tinyurl.com/ayycuc9

Which anti-virus is running on windows 10?

Sincerely,