Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

My windows 7 computer will not recognize my seagate external

Customer Question

my windows 7 computer will not recognize my seagate external hard drive model ST300003U2
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Is this a new drive or have you used it before on this computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot find your response to my question that my computer with windows 7 cannot recognize my seagate exterrnal hard drive model ST 300003U2
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

My question was, is this a new drive or have you used it before on this computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This drive is 8 years old. I have used it once or twice a year ro backup my files on this computer and revious computers
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does your drive use an external power supply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The most obvious things I need you to check if you haven't already is, have you tried connecting it to a different computer? What we want to see is if the problem is with the drive or in the computer you are using now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ONLY HAVE ONE COMPUTER SO I HAVE NOT TRIED ANOTHER
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

When or if you have the opportunity, you should give that a try. With those types of drives, it is not uncommon to have the power supply fail even if you haven't used it much. You should also try using a different USB cable to verify there is nothing wrong with that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE TRIED A SECOND CABLE AND THE DRIVE IS POWERED SEPARATELY BY 120 V PLUG IN. THE DRIVE IS RUNNING BECAUSE I CAN HEAR IT.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does your USB cable have two connectors at one end and only one at the other?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the drive from the computer if it isn't already. Click on your Computer icon on the desktop and when the window opens, observe the Hard Disk Drives at the top. Now plug the USB drive in and watch to see if it appears in the group of hard drives.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT DOES NOT APPEAR. I HAVE TRIED WHAT YOU SUGGEST SEVERAL TIMES
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, just checking. I would really like to have you check this on a different computer just to verify whether or not the problem is in the drive or your computer. I presume you have tried different USB ports as well? If you have and still cannot connect, and if you can find another computer to try the drive on with no connection, then we are back to the power supply. Those old drives require a bit of power to run, and even though you can feel it spin up, there may be insufficient power to connect and transfer data. Does the drive make any other noise like a clicking sound by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO. I THINK I HAVE SPENT ENOUGH TIME WITH YOU. EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SUGGESTED I HAVE ALREADY DONE. SO THANKS FOR TRYING AND I HOPE YOU CAN CREDIT BACK MY $38 BECAUSE I HAVE NOT BEEN SATISFIED WITH WHAT YOU HAVE PROVIDED. HAVE A NICE DAY
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That is unfortunate and I apologize. I am only trying to provide you with a fair diagnosis for the money rather than just drop a couple of suggestions on you and run. I can only work with the information you have provided so it can take more time than it would than if I actually had hands on. I will be happy to continue working with you if you would like to proceed with my suggestions, other wise feel free to request a refund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PLEASE REFUND MY $38