Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have a Logitech unifying receiver along with a K800

Customer Question

I have a Logitech unifying receiver along with a K800 keyboard and an MX performance mouse. For some reason, there are 3 installations of the receiver. I delete the extras, and they keep coming back. Unifying receiver software keeps telling me to unplug 2 receivers, but there is only one. Neither keyboard nor mouse work properly. Help!
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Which windows are you running?

Windows XP, 7, 8, or 10?

32 or 64 bit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 10 64-bit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello again.

I can call you, but there is an additional fee for that service. Also, it would be helpful for you and me to get some further information.

Have you had your K800 keyboard and/or the MX Performance mouse working previously on this system? If not, have you purchased one of the items recently, and previously had the other installed and working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mouse worked previously. The keyboard is new, and the problems started when I bought it.

Please tell me the following:

1) Do you have two unifying receivers now? One you got with the mouse, and one with the keyboard?

2) If you look closely at the receiver(s), there might be a thin colored band around the top of one or both. Tell me about that and which one came with which device.

3) If you have two receivers, Have you tried plugging both of them in, or one of them at a time , to see if you can get the devices working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried both receivers. I get the same problem, no matter which one I plug in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know which receiver came with which device, because they both look the same to me.

Have you tried using one receiver to connect to one device (not both at the same time)?

If not, please do this. We need to make sure we have a working receiver to unify with. Logitech has been known to send out faulty receivers, so this is a way we can start to diagnoses your receivers.

Just shut down your computer. Plug in just one unifying receiver, and then plug in your mouse. If that works, shut down or restart again and while computer is shutting down , move the receiver to a different USB port, and also turn off your mouse (or remove a battery). Turn on your keyboard. Verify it works. Let me know the result of this test. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter is working on a homework assignment right now, so I can't shut down my computer at the moment. I can do that in a little while and get back to you.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did it, and they both work alone. But they've been working alone, for about five minutes at a time. Then they go kablooey. It's the 3 installations of the receiver that I think is the problem, and I can't get rid of them. I delete them all, and the minute I plug in the receiver again, I get the 3 installs. And the software tells me to unplug 2 of them. But there's only one.

Is the logitech software telling you there are "3 installations"? Did you install that from a CD or download?

If so, please unplug all receivers. Then, go to your programs/features, and uninstall the logitech software. Then, shut down and repeat the previous steps again. You shouldn't need the extra software just to make things work. You may need it to unify, but first let's get one receiver working with both devices (one at a time).