Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

Sound went off when I connected a new monitor

Customer Question

sound went off when I connected a new monitor
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Ive seen this happen before, on many different versions of windows..

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you're using.

Windows XP, Widows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Or a Mac.

If it's a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer I'm using is an ASUS laptop.Your choices to select from are not "computers."I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there, Dustin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What good is this service if you don't answer within 8 minutes?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

The choices I laid out are operating systems, versions of windows or mac, or even chrome OS that are installed on your computer.

Since you have an Asus, you could either have a chromebook with google chrome os.

Or, you could have a version of windows. Before I can relay any steps to you, I need to know what version of windows you have on the computer.

Such as windows vista, windows 7, windows 8 or windows 10.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I answered your question, Dustin. Why don't you read my responses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

You are correct, The email I received showed a clipped version of your response.

Viewing from our work interface I do see the whole message where you answered that you have Windows 10 enterprise.

Would you mind if i connected to your computer from here so I can work on the issue first hand. This will expedite the repair process.

Theres normally an extra fee for remote support, but Im going to forego that fee on this issue due to the time delays youve incurred so far.

If you wouldnt mind allowing a remote connection, let me know what time zone you are in, and when a good time would be for you, so we can connect.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanx for the offer, Dustin, but I don't allow that because of my extensive ongoing work . I have a huge spreadsheet that I'm updating and over a dozen tabs open on the internet with two browsers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Repeat: Thanx for the offer, Dustin, but I don't allow that because of my extensive ongoing work . I have a huge spreadsheet that I'm updating and over a dozen tabs open on the internet with two browsers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Second repeat: Thanx for the offer, Dustin, but I don't allow that because of my extensive ongoing work . I have a huge spreadsheet that I'm updating and over a dozen tabs open on the internet with two browsers.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. By the time you responded several hours later, last night. I was off shift and away from my desk.

Ive just signed into work today.

Ok, I know youve been through the screens Im going to mention, I need you to go through them again and let me know what you see.

I have to know what status your sound devices are in and whats showing, so I can figure out whats wrong and help you fix it.

I also have windows 10. So these steps should work fluidly.

First, connect the external monitor.. The one that does not have sound. Then,

At the bottom right of your computer screen. Right click the volume icon

Left click playback devices. Now what exactly do you see listed here, by name.

And what is set as default currently.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
You did not answer my question and you didn't even try to communicate in a timely manner, Dustin. I want my $5.00 and $33.00 back for failure to perform.