Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Networking, hardware, software, various OS's, Email Web and domain hosting, DNS
63493917

In addition to the PC on which I am typing now, I have a very

Customer Question

In addition to the PC on which I am typing now, I have a very old laptop. It is an Ascentia M series. S/N:517200001985.
I have types a long story on it. Now I am trying to transfer it. First I tried connection the port to my printer but the laptop wanted to 'add printe'. I had Deskjet on its list but only up to 600 and then 1200. Mine is 1000. Anyway it would not do anything.
I then tried to connect it to my computer with a usb cable. but on the lap top in the 'send to list' there is no 'to other device'.
The laptop uses windows 98 second edition.
The send to has an email option so I thought of sending myself an email but the laptop has not been set up for it and when I tried to use the set p programme it asked me to insert a windows98 second edition DD-ROM disc. I do not have any set up disc(I bought the laptop second hand) and in any case there is no slot for a moern disc.
Can you help ? I tremble at the thought of retyping several thousand words.
Ken.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com I understand your limitations on such an old laptop, and i think i have an idea to solve this.
How large is the file you want to transfer? Is it a LARGE file.....more than 5GB, or is it a relatively small file, less than 1GB?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
probably less that 1GB. I also tried plugging in a flashdrive into the port but there was nothing on the screen to cope with this.
When you were done typing your LONG STORY, you must have SAVED the file....right? The file you saved, most likely in the MIcrosoft WORD format. .docx or .doc are you able to access that file? I think we should use a CLOUD drive. SOmethign like a google drive, or dropbox. Or use a website to transfer it....likehttps://www.wetransfer.com/
When you plugged in the flashdrive....and nothing happened....that is ok. you just need to navigate to the MY COMPUTER, to open the flashdrive.....are you able to do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is saved and on word I have plugged the flashdrive in again . On My Computer the options are 3.5" floppy , C: printers control panel infrared recipient scheduled tasks and web folders -- no 'flashdrives'
Ahh, okay, maybe the USB port itself is bad, who knows. But, if you REALLY cant figure it out, i can connect to the OLD laptop, and REMOTELY transfer the file to your NEW computer.
The OLD laptop....can it connect to the internet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great but the laptop is not connected to the internet and when I try to connect it it will not let me.
HOW are you trying to connect it? Wifi? Or with a cable?
ON such an old laptop, i suggest you connect it with a cable, and NOT wifi. It SHOULD have an ethernet port, that you can use to connect to your network?
If you can, and dont mind, are you able to take some pictures of the OLD laptop, and send them to me?Particularly, i want to see the sides, and back of the laptop to better understand the types of ports that you DO have on it.
If the USB port on it doesnt work, and you cannot connect it to the internet.....it is going to be VERY difficult to TRANSFER anything OFF of it. I mean, what other choices are there? Not many, for such an old laptop.....maybe theres a SD card port on it we could use?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not have an ethernet port. I have several ethernet cables and a spare socket on the phone line but cannot see how to connectit. OK I have done but how can I download and send to you without switching you off \?
you can use the paperclip icon, on this Qand A session.Do you see it?use that, and it will upload it to right here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ha ADD FILES is that ok
i believe so
Nevermind....i found the MANUAL for that Laptop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the photos onto the PC but am having difficulty in getting them on to this form.
And you are RIGHT, there is NO ethernet port, and there is NO network ports AT ALL on it.
Thank you for the pictures, i got them. My friend, you may be stuck with only 1 option. and its NOT a good one. Removing the Hard Drive, and installing it into a hard drive reader, or into a DESKTOP computer, that has the IDE ports, and Molex power.
As i mentioned...i found the MANUAL for that laptop....woudl you like it?
I normally would NOT suggest taking out the hard drive, just to get a file.However, you are on a laptop, that PRE-dates just about every modern way of transferring files. Not to mention the fact, that the USB port is probably dead, and there are NO network ports at all. What options are left??? None. Except.....removing the hard drive.