Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years repairing and installing computers. Comp TIA+ Certified
1567601

I had a dell that quit working. Took it to BB Geek Squad and

Customer Question

I had a dell that quit working. Took it to BB Geek Squad and they said hard drive was ok but computer would not start up. I took the hard drive and bought an external reader but it does not read all the files I had on it.
I have bought a new computer but the disks I need for the programs I need cannot be found for the moment.
Can the HD I have be put into a computer chassis as the main drive to run all my programs that are on there????
I have an older dell chassis but the connectors are old compared to the HD I need to use. Is there connectors that would allow for that HD to work in the old chassis.
Or is there another solution???
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. What type of an external reader did you buy for the old HDD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blac x dual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but that is not really the big concern, can I get the HDD to operate as a system drive is the overriding question
so I can reach my programs
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Excellent reader! You cannot simply install that drive as the boot drive due to the hardware differences. What you can do is install it as the secondary drive and access the files from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which hardware differences do you mean, do you mean that the HDD can never be a bootable hard drive again on any computer........................ but the one I had, or can it be resolved some how?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Well sort of. When you install Windows, it correlates the machines hardware into a nice little bundle the operating system recognizes from that time forward. It also communicates that information to Microsoft as well to tie your activation key in with the hardware. If you were to try to take the drive as it is now and install it into an existing computer and boot from it, it would fail. If you install it as a secondary device, and because you don't have to boot from it, that drive has now become just a storage area for files that you can access. You could make it a boot drive again, but you would have to re-partition and format it then install a new copy of Windows on it, but that would wipe all of your files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok the HDD can never become usable as a boot drive without reformatting is what you are saying correct
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Correct. You cannot use it as a boot drive in any other computer other than the original it was installed and configured for. You can install it as a secondary drive in anything you want and access the files that way.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Still with me?