Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have a relatively new lap top with very little on it

Customer Question

I have a relatively new lap top with very little on it except MS Office....works fine...The computer says I can upgrade free to Windows 10 but when I try , it gets to the end of the upgrade and I get a message that I need 8 more Gig of space on the computer to finish????I mean it's practically brand new!!! no saved pix and about a dozen 2 page docs....So my question is "Do I get a 8 GB flash drive and plug it in to continue with the Windows 10 download or do I fet an external hard drive and continue??? Tnx....Mike
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the oportunity to assist. The best way to do the upgrade is to use a flash drive and create the Windows 10 installation media and then do the upgrade instead of through Windows Update. You'll need a 4GB or larger flash drive. Go

here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

plug the flash drive in and use the 64-bit tool.

Once the media has been created, open the flash drive folder from within This PC and run the setup.exe file.

Another tip before you do the upgrade: make sure the only thing plugged in to the laptop is the power cord.

I do have to ask though, how big is your hard drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tnx......sounds a bit more complicated for me.......my new computer is an ACER Aspire...2 GB memory....32 GB Storage....I have a 64 GB flash drive so I guess I can try....I also want to install QuickBooks on this dedicated unit....but now have my doubts...appreciate ur gift for the computer tech......
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Mike. Having such a small hard drive can be an issue but that doesn't mean you can't install Windows 10.

Here's a Microsoft article, some of which discusses installing to small hard drives.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

To free up some space you can change the default amount Windows reserves for your Recycle Bin.

Right click on RB and select Properties. The windows that opens will display your options.

You can turn off RB completely or set a smaller size. Remember that 1024MB = 1GB

Open This PC, right-click on your hard drive and select Disk Cleanup. It will calculate for you how much space can be opened up.

Open Control Panel>>System>>Advanced System Settings>>System Protection tab

Left-click to select your C: drive and click the Configure button.

Use the slider to decrease the amount of space Windows uses to store restore points and click Apply.