Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have an ArtixScan 4000tf which gave me hours of service

Customer Question

I have an ArtixScan 4000tf which gave me hours of service with the XP 2000 program. Then I purchased a new PC (desktop) with windows 8. I eventually ended up with a progrm called VueScan (Hamrick software) which operated the scanner quite well. This program picks up any scanner that is switched on at the time. However, on upgrading to Windows 10 was the start of my troubles. The scanner itself still goes through its process as per normal when switched on, but I keep getting messages telling me, "The last USB device connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not recognise". In the Devices and Printers section, "Unknown USB device (Device descripter request failed)' I have tried all the various recommended procedures of switching on and off the PC/scanner etc., but to no avail. I even loaded the Silverfast software that came originally with the scanner which also tells me, "There was no scanner found". Can you help me.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hi John, I'm Joel - hopefully I can assist you today.

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

The first thing we can try is make sure the most recent drivers for the scanner are installed

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to find them here

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how you go

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have downloaded the suggested Driver Tool Kit and installed the recommended out of date drivers. The driver for the MicroTek ArtixScan 4000tf was up to date according to the program, but I reloaded it anyway. I have restarted my PC but there is no difference when I retry the scanner, still getting the original messages
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Thanks John. Does the driver software have any selfupdate utilities? If it does you can follow that through to ensure most up-to-date driver. I would also run Windows Update and make sure all updates have been installed. Now, one thing I have been reading is that Windows Fast Startup (a new feature with Windows 10) can sometimes cause driver issues with certain devices. It may be worth following this article here to turn off Fast Startup, then turn off and back on and see if the scanner is then detected. Let me know how you go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are starting to make progress Joel. At first, I rechecked the artixscan drivers, all OK. Then turned off the fast startup, checked latest windows up dates, turning off and restarting CP and scanner a number of times and still the same response as before. So I tried another USB port, turning off/restarting etc., and finally got the VueScan program working for a couple of scans and then it would do the preview of the slide/negative and as soon as it was completed, a message comes up, "VueScan has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". So any ideas as to where we go from here? I have received no notification from Windows so far.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Thanks John. That sounds good at least the scanner is being detected and no USB device detection issues in Device Manager. Are you running the most recent version of the VueScan software? If not I would try to get the most recent release. I would uninstall your current version, reboot, then do a fresh install of VueScan (just incase there is some driver conflict happening, a fresh install may fix that). Let me know how you go

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I deleted the VueScan program a couple of times and re loaded because now it has gone back to square one as they say. Have also swapped around USB ports to no avail. It has gone back to Windows and VueScan not recognizing the scanner. I am running the professional edition of VueScan.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Thanks John. So your running the most recent version of the professional edition? The only other thing I can offer is to setup a remote access session and have a look, I would check Device Manager and see if I can manually force it to load the drivers

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you'd like me to take a look, otherwise I can provide some steps to manually load the driver, failing that I can opt-out and see if another expert on here has some more ideas to get this working for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get a bit nervous at someone else taking over my PC as I have had scammers trying to do that sort of thing unsuccessfully before. You mention about manually forcing the Device Manager to load the drivers, there is no possible of directing myself through this process?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

No worries John I understand. I found another user had success following these instructions, although it was for a different scanner model. Still wroth a try:

Download VueS­can from Hamrick

Con­nect the scanner

Install it

Unin­stall it

Open device man­ager (right click on my com­puter, choose prop­er­ties, click on device man­ager link on left hand side)

Find the scan­ner (unknown device usually)

Right click, and select “update driver software”

Choose “browse my com­puter for driver software”

Click browse and browse to c:\VueScan

Click next etc until finished

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message I received is as follows;
"The best driver software for your device is already installed"
and
"Windows has determined that the driver for your device is up to date"
As well the usual message comes through..........Unknown USB device (Descriptor Request Failed)
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

hi John, check this YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xoQzirzUkE Does that work for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not at first. But after going through it a number of times, shutting down and restarting PC/scanner, even swapping USB ports and going through those other suggestions, it looks like Windows is finally accepting the scanner. Having said that, there are odd times when switching on the scanner that the message, "The last USB device connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not recognise" comes up again. Now when I run the VueScan program, it will function OK until the picture is loaded into the screen and the cropping box is about to come up, then I get the message, "VueScan has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". I have got about three pictures done successfully and have just about ripped all of my hair out. I have to go out today, so there will be no hurry for you to come up with something.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hi John. You could try and change the compatibility settings for the VueScan application, just in case for some reason its causing the application to crash. I would also check Run this program as an Administrator (not sure if you are doing this already?)

Change compatibility settings manually

These steps will not work with programs that are part of Windows, like Paint or Windows Media Player, or with apps you get from the Windows Store.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then clickSearch.)

2. Enter the name of the program in the search box, press and hold (or right-click) the search result, and then tap or clickOpen file location.

3. Press and hold (or right-click) the program icon, tap or click Properties, and then tap or click the Compatibility tab.

4. Select one or more of the settings (see the table below for more info).

5. If you want to apply the settings for that program to all accounts on the PC, tap or click Change settings for all users. You might be asked for an admin password ***** to confirm your choice.

6. When you're done, tap or click OK.

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

For the compatibility settings I would select Windows XP SP3 to start with, you could also try Windows 7. Again, not sure if this is related to the issue as it sounds more driver/usb related than anything but still is worth a try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These 6 steps you outlined are characteristic of the windows 8 program. I have windows 10 which I was able to follow the steps anyway. The compatability settings came up with, Windows vista, Windows Vista (service Pack 1), Windows Vista (Service Pack 2), Windows 7, and Windows 8. Of all of them, I had some success alternating between Windows 7 and Windows 8. But it is far from right. As far as the computer recognizing the scanner, that seems to have settled down and working well. It is just that annoying problem of after the scan when the crop box should come up, I get the message; "VueScan has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". Any ideas?????????
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hi John, when you say had success with the Win7/8 compatibility modes, does that mean it worked ok for you or still eventually failed? I'm almost out of ideas on this one. You have probably done this already but with VueScan do you know if you running the most recent version, does it have a check for updates feature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Win 7/8 compatability modes only worked occasionaly when changing over and then no good after. Yes ,running the latest version of VueScan and if you log on to VueScan 9.5.28 Release notes, it gives you a very comprehensive history of their upgrades etc.. Don't know if this will help at all, but you might pick up something.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Thanks John. Yeah I did look over the notes and see the latest has compatibility improvements for Windows 10. What I have been reading with issues regarding VueScan freezing on Windows 10 and they suggest if Windows 10 uses its own generic scanner driver and it's clashing with VueScan's driver? You could double check Device Manager and properties of the scanner to find out what driver the systems is actually using for it. Failing that, as a test you could download a trial of Scanitto Pro (https://www.scanitto.com/download.html) and see if that behaves any different (just for curiosity sake). I'd be interested to know. Other than that I will keep researching and see if I can think of anyone else to try. But also let me know if you'd like me to opt-out and that way another expert may have some other ideas to try that I haven't thought of, Cheers, Joel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Joel to take so long to get back to you, but there is always plenty of other things to take care of. I have been doing plenty of checking of a number of things before replying. I checked for windows upgrades etc., which took over an hour or so to download and then install, no difference to my problems. I downloaded Scanitto Pro and ran several times, this one being the worst of the programs for dropping out as soon as I clicked on prescan. VueScan acted the same as before, so I ran the original CD for the MicroTek scanner. I remembered why I went searching for drivers/programs to run the scanner, it was because of getting the message all the time of not being able to find the scanner. As that problem has been sorted, I now can get the original software to run the scanner although it seems a Filescan MFC App is running the scanner. This runs OK sometimes and then freezes up midway on the final scanning. With this scanner I received the SilverFast Ai software, which I have loaded and tried also. Can only work the demo mode as I do not have the original product key, but it seemed to work quite well in the limited addition. Have been getting a number of error messages and while checking these on the net, I am far from being the only one who is having problems. These people were running most of the older programs and not Windows 10. Well something for you to chew over, I have pulled all my hair out now.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hi mate, would you like me to open this up for other experts, I think we've tried almost everything that I can think so, so I think I'm out of ideas unfortunately

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I will opt out. VueScan and Scanitto Pro still have the original problems. The original Microtek software seems to be working reasonbly (It is not without problems and a bit unreliable, but at least it works) I will continue to persevere with it in the hope of improving it further down the line. John.