Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have a gateway slim line computer and I am replacing the

Customer Question

I have a gateway slim line computer and I am replacing the fourth failed hard drive since i purchased this computer. No one can figure out what is happening but I think it is more than being unlucky with hard drives. All diagnostics on ram and motherboard come back fine. Any clue?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Have you changed the cable from the drive to the motherboard/power supply? That could be the problem as well which will show as a bad hard drive.

It would show that way because "Geek Squad" tests using a software disc they just run in your computer, so for example if you had a bad CD drive it could come back with any part failing.

This type of software can not test cables. Smaller independent shops normally test the cables first by replacing them and seeing if the same thing happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last hard drive I did but maybe not the prior one because I found the cable in the box. I will on the new one I'm getting in a couple days. Geek squad found a bad sector on the hard drive--the hd would go to blue screen in just a few minutes after start up.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

The blue screen should have an 0x error code on it, if possible can you get that code for me?