Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Since the Tandy II Ive been utilizing and repairing hardware components. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My msi gt72 is stuck on Aptio Setup utility and i could not

Customer Question

my msi gt72 is stuck on Aptio Setup utility and i could not restart to windows 8.1 please help
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

I have a self built desktop with an MSI motherboard, its not a bad brand and usually rather reliable. I understand that you have a MSI laptop.

Question. In the aptio setup utility, im assuming if you use your keyboard and select exit. That it doesnt boot into windows?

Inside the setup utility, does it show your hard drive listed? Also, does it say you are in legacy or uefi mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't see my hard drive listed , but legacy and uefi is there
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

So it doesnt show your hard drive.

Are you currently set to legacy, or uefi mode?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Or did you mean its set to legacy + uefi?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am set at uefi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have the following choices for Boot mode select:UEFI with CSM
LEGACY
UEFI
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

With your hard drive not showing this could either be a hard drive failure, a temporary fault. Or somehow your settings got changed..

Lets try setting it to Uefi with csm Legacy first. Then saving settings and exiting. And seeing if it will start.

If not, try removing the power cord and battery. Then pressing and holding power for 30 seconds. Then inserting the battery and power cord and pressing power normally to start it. Does the same thing happen?

If so, go back to uefi mode and we will work from there.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i cannot remove the battery unfortunately so lets start in UEFI mode please
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Id still like you to try all the steps I mentioned, besides removing the battery. Change to Uefi plus legacy. Then remove the power cord and hold the power button for 30 seconds solid with the machine off..

Then try to start, what happens?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. if you chamged to uefi + legacy and save dt hat setting and tried to start, and it still wouldnt go past the aptio setup- utility.

Then your hard drive isnt being read. So what we need to do is get under the hood of that machine and remove both the hard drive and the ssd drive.

Blow out the connectors, and then reconnect them.

The guide below shows how to disassemble the machine, and where the SSD and Hard drive are located.

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/msi-gt72-disassembly/

Hopefully this gets your hard drive to be recognized. If not, we may have to replace the hard drive. which isnt overly expensive but involves a bit of work considering youd have to reinstall windows and your drives on the new hard drive. So lets try to remove and re insert the hard drive and see if that solves the issue.

On a side note, I have to take a lunch break, and will be back in roughly 35 minutes.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks i will be waiting
i will try every solution thanks enjoy your meal
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hi, ive just returned from lunch. My apologies for the delay.

Were you able to remove and reinstall the Hard drive and SDD>?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing happened
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, to be clear you found both the SSD and Hard drive.

Now that you have removed them and reinstalled them. When it launches into the aptio setup utility, Do you see your hard drive listed anywhere?

Maybe in a boot section, or devices and peripherals? Definitely checked boot options, and if you have it check advanced > sata configuration and see if your hard drive is listed there.

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did found the info in SATAKINGSTON
and
HGST
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial ATA
Serial ATA
for both
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

To be clear, you seen it in the Advanced Sata section?

If so, can you check the boot section and see if it also sees the Kingston or any other hard drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i see it in main -> SATA Information menu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will chck the boot
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

If you dont see it in boot. Then check all screens, we need to enable CSm and disable secure boot. That may help the hard drive to be recognized in the boot section.

Also, in advanced sata are you in AHCI mode or another mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i found both here also-> Advanced -> Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology -> both
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in sata i can see ATAPI with a serial number preceding it in another Serial ATA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i could not find secure boot
i only found Fast Boot which is enabled
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bootup Numlock State is On
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shall i disable both ?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

leave numlock state on. But Disable fast boot.

Then.. Save settings and exit. Then restart.. Does it still go into the aptio utility? If so. Specifically in the boot section what exactly do we see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Boot mode select [UEFI with CSM]i got FIXED BOOT ORDER Priorities (under that it lists)
Boot Option #1 Hard Disk
------- #2 Network
------- #3 CD/DVD
------- #4 USB CD/DVD
------- #5 USB Hard Disk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i forgot to tell you i disabled fast boot then restarted then i am directed to patio again
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so under this section.. FIXED BOOT ORDER

Its Showing Hard disk as the first boot option.. But it doesnt actually give the hard disk a name, such as kingston or something else.. can you try and change the boot order and see if it shows any options to show that have any identifying models or serial numbers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did one time once i removed and replaced the disks then i restarted and the names and serials dissappeared
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, on the aptio screen do you see an option anywhere that says restore defaults and exit?

if so, try that.. Does it go back to the aptio screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got a new item in security-> Security Boot Menu
it has --> Secure Boot Support [Enabled]
Secure Boot Mode [Standard]
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it went back to Aptio
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, lets disable secure boot support..

That may help t he hard drives show back up. ( but before you disable it, check the boot section and see if any hard drives are showing now~)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing yet
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. It may be a hard drive failure.. At this point its looking likely.. That, or maybe your BCD ( boot file ) is messed up. But still, even if the files were corrupted the bios should still see the drives.

Since its not seeing the drives at all.. Seems one of both are corrupted.

Normally, your boot sector and windows install would be on the SSD. So lets try a two part process.

Open the machine, Remove the regular HDD.. And then try to boot. Can it boot, or recognize any hard drive at all in the boot section?

If not, then shut down the machine, open it and remove the SSD and insert the HDD. then it should not boot, but we need to know if we can now see the HDD in the boot section listed with its model or serial.

The results of this test should help us narrow down the cause and resolution to the issue.

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will do that and tell you in minutes
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Take your time. Im just sending this response so it alerts me when your new reply comes in~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i removed the sdd then
-> Advanced -> Intel Rapid Storage Technology
i can see the hard disk (HGST) enlisted only
then once i Connected the other one
i saw both KINGSTON plus HGST
so i guess nothing wrong with the hard disks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one is on Port 0
the
other is on Port 3
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, getting the HDD recognized is a must if were going to get the computer to boot.

Question though, are you seeing it in the boot section.. Or in the advanced section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the Advanced section
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ahh.. thats still a problem then.. Has to show in the boot order section or else the Bios cant choose the drives as a boot device.

Did you update the bios recently.. Anything happen prior to this issue occuring that might be related or relevant ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Weve ran through the needed steps a few times.. Even repeated them. Whats certain is that if we cant get the hard drives to show in th eboot section, the computer wont boot.. As it cant see the hard drives as devices it could boot from.

What Im concerned with, and why I havent suggested replacing one drive or the other is.. When we remove the SSD , we should be able to select the HDD or see it in the boot section. Or vice versa. If we cant see either in the boot section then its probably not the drives but rather the bios.

Question.. How long have you had this laptop.. Less t hen 1 year, or more then 1 year?