Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

My acomdata hard drive does not work on my Dell Vostro 1700

Customer Question

my acomdata hard drive does not work on my Dell Vostro 1700 pc. I am using vista and am looking for a driver to install the hard drive on my pc. Hard drive is HD160U2FE-72.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

You may perhaps - since that is a rather old model of external USB hard drive - have a problem with the USB version. It might be (at a guess) USB version 1.1, which some USB ports nowadays would not be compatible with. So try several different ports, avoiding the USB 3.x port or ports.

Also verify that the USB hard drive still works on older computers, or specifically those with older ports.

What error indication do you get, when you try the USB hard drive on the Voltro 1700 in question? does it recognize it as a USB device and make the clunk-clunk sound, and/or show an icon for it or some sort of screen response, perhaps only in the 'system tray' of small icons at the lower right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drive label lists it as USB 2. I tried it in several ports but the pc doesn't recognize it. The unit run quietly and you can hear the disks spinning. When I go to explore there is no icon showing the connection. If I go to control panel and use the install hardware icon the unit does not show up anywhere. The last time it worked was when I had it connected to my old pc that was running it using the fire wire connection on Windows XP. Now it does not work on that pc with either connection. I have an USB 2.0 installation disk but it does not work with install hardware wizard. The disk may be for MAC OS. I think I need to get a USB Microsoft Vista USB installation-disk or a vista driver for that drive. That is why I got on the acomdata.com web site and asked my original question.Kurt
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Look on the installation disk that you have, for a .INI file. Right-click on that INI file, and select Install. That may work, it's a sort of hack for installing devices.

The USB version is probably no object, I think that a Dell Vostro and Windows 7 would include USB 2 capability.

But for the Acomdata drive, you probably need at minimum the right INI file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no INI file on that disk. The attached file is a list of files on that disk.
I am using Vista on my Vostro not Win 07.
Where can I find either the INI oe exe file needed to reinstall the hard drive?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What about the

NECUSTOR Setup Information

file? right-click on it, and select Install. I suspect that a 'Setup Information' file is an .INI file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right clicked on the file and got the attached message.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Very well... it's a shame, though.

Please read off to me, from the manufacturer's label on your external USB hard drive, the

Manufacturer or Maker

Model # ***** Model No. or Model Number

It might help me advise you properly as to what to do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ACOMDATA
Fire Wire
USB 2.0
Model: External Subsystem
HD160U2FE-72
S/N A0348441
MFG May 04
Assembled in USA
Manual attached
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I very much doubt that this will help at all:

http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1116980

That's for Windows 98 o Windows ME, and probably just a USB driver in general for those old OSs. Install at your own risk, download at your own risk... but installing would be helped, if you can get an installable file from this somewhat unreliable site at all, by first

-saving the install file to disk, then

- once it is saved, right-clicking on it and enabling Compatibility Mode for Windows ME. If that's possible in Windows Vista.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm putting this on hold for now. Will contact you again next week. Kurt
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That's fine. Get back to this matter at your convenience. Thanks.