Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computer Hardware. MCSE, MCP, ICCP - Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, Alienware, Lenovo.
23511658

My ego 3tb external hard drive no longer shows up in "my

Customer Question

My ego 3tb external hard drive no longer shows up in "my computer"
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

Was it working previously? Or is this a new device? The error that you see in the device manager should include additional information – can you please provide the exact error message that you see there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The device worked previously and contains a lot of data.
The error in device manager:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

thank you for the additional information.

There are only 2 things it can be – one would be the drive and the other would be the USB adapter. The USB adapter/enclosure is a fairly common problem with external drives. The best way to handle such a failure is to get a replacement external USB enclosure and put the drive into that. If the computer were recognizing it as a device there are some other things you could do to see if the problem or with the drive. But since it's giving you the specific error code, the bad enclosure is the most likely cause. You could also choose to remove the enclosure and connected directly to the computer internally, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing that as there is a higher risk of data loss when the system has direct access to the drive. The type of USB enclosure you get will depend on the type of USB enclosure that the drive is in right now. All you have to do is get one that is equivalent to the one that it's in. It does not necessarily have to be the same brand name.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do you find a hard drive enclosure when you have no idea what kind of hard drive is inside?

As I said, if you can tell me the model number of the drive - the external version, I can check the specs and tell you what you need.

If this is not a drive that came as an external drive then you would have to open up to find out. But you haven't given me any information on the drive itself so I can give you that information yet.

Have I answered your question, or do you need additional information?

I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service, OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT. Thank you.