Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years repairing and installing computers. Comp TIA+ Certified
1567601

I'm looking good Ip security camera that has the ability to

Customer Question

I'm looking for a good Ip security camera that has the ability to capture license plates from , say 50 yards away. There are so many out there, I'm hoping maybe someone here has someone experience and suggestions on a good quality Ip camera for my business.
Thanks
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

How many cameras do you need?

What is your budget?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete I'm planning to set about 6 cameras.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pete, Your asking me to rate rate your service before answering my question :-) .

I didn't answer your question though about a budget.

I imagine the quality of the camera I need will be the dictating factor regarding costs. Like everybody on everything I'd like to spend as little as possible and get as much as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pete, Should I repost my question for another expert ?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Can you tell me a little about the environment the camera will be in and are you wanting to capture 24 hours a day?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan, I'm going to set up one for home and one for a business. The business will be 3 outside cameras monitoring the outside of the business and 3 inside the shop.

The home set up will be simply 2 outdoor cameras.

I plan on using my own hard drive for storage. So I'm only looking for cameras that have good enough resolution so if something was to happen I could take a snap shot and zoom in the view a license plate.

I have been using X10 (AIRSIGHT) CAMERAS XC 40A'S that have very poor resolution.

I also don't want to use license plate capture cameras , because I understand you lose the panoramic view of the surroundings with them.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Very true about the plate capture cameras, but if you really want to see the plate, they will give you the best possibility of that. I presume you will want to capture 24/7?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, Yes 24/7 with motion detection on. Being able to see the perimeter is as important as capturing the plates. I'm assuming with todays technologies they make cameras that can do both. I've research this for many hours, but there is just too much to look at. So, I'm asking you guys.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The problem you will run into is trying to utilize an all in one camera to perform a special function. In other words, if you use a wide angle lens to capture as much area as possible, you will sacrifice resolution and video quality for your long distance shots. If you are going to try to use the same type of camera to capture plates, then your visual range will be impaired for anything over about fifty feet, at least to capture a plate number.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Also don't forget the angle of the camera when it comes to capturing the plate.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I can make some recommendations for you and we can work with that when you are ready.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Some recommendations is what I'm looking for :-)

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Take a look at Foscam then let me know what you think and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Foscam says the best they have is the fi9805p for an outdoor camera. It's only 1.3 MP. The fact is I don't necessarily know what exactly to look for. Isn't the Megapixel what determines the resolution?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if you want something higher in resolution then take a look at this Samsung camera. They are excellent quality and should work well for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan, Thanks for your help. But I was hoping on finding someone on just answers that was familiar with IP cameras and could suggest to me what works and what doesn't. As well as what to look for in my particular needs.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I have worked with IP cameras as well as regular video cameras. I am suggesting what works and what doesn't. If you are trying to capture license plates then you should consider a camera specific for that, otherwise you may not capture the detail of the plate. As far as IP cameras are concerned, the greater the resolution the higher the bandwidth you will need in your network to accommodate the multiple video signals. What else would you like to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan,

I was hoping on finding a expert that could briefly put in layman terms what I should be looking for in a Ip camera . Axis (which is one of the best I hear) has numerous IP cameras of $600 that are only 720P resolution. If 1080P is so much better (is it) then why would the best of the best make high end cameras that are on 720. If the higher the MB the better the resolution than why are most high end cameras only 1-3 megapixel? That is the stuff I was hoping on learning from JustAanswers, not the name of manufacturers that make cameras.

Thanks :-)

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I understand, but you need to ask for specifics. When we make contact with a customer, we try to figure out just exactly what they are looking for. Some will take offense if you start throwing out a lot of technobabble! So now that I have a feel for what you want, we can proceed. I have used the Axis camera's and while they are good, I think they are a little over priced. You can certainly purchase a 1080p camera versus a 1080i, but for your application, the only thing you might notice is your wallet being a little lighter. If you compare a 1080 to a 720 camera on a small screen, say something 40" or less, you will never be able to tell the difference. Most of what you see is marketing hype, kind of like when the broadcast stations began transmitting in digital format. Manufacturers began branding their antennas as digital and tripled the price. There was absolutely no difference in the way the signal was transmitted from the station to the home but people paid the extra money anyway. Back to the camera. I like the Samsung due to some of the options like the optical zoom and the IR range. Keep in mind that a 2.1 megapixel camera is the equivalent of a 1080 HD camera. Anything over that would probably be a waste for your application, not to mention you would need a specific monitor to handle anything higher than HD. Let me know what other information you would like.