Sean Feehan
Sean Feehan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  11 years of repair, 3+ in a professional setting
69400341

My dvd drive is missing on my computer. Can't see it and

Customer Question

my dvd drive is missing on my computer. Can't see it and it's like it doesn't exist. Any suggestions?
Category: Computer Hardware
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm running windows 7 on an asus built desktop with 16g of ram.
Expert:  Sean Feehan replied 1 year ago.

This can happen for a couple reasons, usually on a laptop the device has just failed, same could be true for this device... Does the device have power and open/close when pressing the eject button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not open when I press the open/close button. Nor does it appear to have any power.

Typically if it doesn't show in windows, it should still open and close, indicating there is power to the drive... Did you build your machine or was it built for you?? Would suggest taking the side off and verifying it is still plugged in or try a different SATA power cable if available.

Devices like that run on SATA Power cable that connects to your power supply. Typically near the top of the case, on some, the bottom, and a smaller SATA cable that connects to the mainboard near where your hard drive(s) would plug in.

Once we can establish power to the drive, we can continue to test that Windows will recognize it . If not we try the SATA connection, if power cannot be established from another plug we can assume the drive has failed.

I'm here to help though, whatever I can assist you with in troubleshooting and fixing this let me know. MY name is ***** ***** the way, sorry for being rude and failing to mention that :D

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sean,No worries. I'll take the side off and switch to another cable if possible. I'll let you know the results.

Okay awesome, let me know what you come up with I'm here when you are... Mostly... I get a notification when you reply so I may not be right here exactly, I do get it on my phone though.