Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computer Hardware. MCSE, MCP, ICCP - Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, Alienware, Lenovo.
23511658

I have a Macbook Pro A1278 2010 that the screen turns black

Customer Question

I have a Macbook Pro A1278 2010 that the screen turns black several seconds after startup. If I remove the hard drive, the screen stays white longer, but then starts flashing back and forth between black and white. In the split second when it is changing, I can see the folder with the question mark on it indicating there is no boot source. I have tried re-seating the RAM, new RAM and resetting the NVRAM. There is no external video to test if this is an LCD or motherboard issue. Any ideas?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

Since the boot source is the hard drive, and it's turning black several seconds after startup, it sounds to me like the problem is with the hard drive. Have you tried starting up and pressing control are for recovery rate after starting the computer?

Of course, it could always be an LCD issue but an LCD issue would still allow the computer to boot. So if it were the LCD you would still see the computer appear to behave normally other than what you're saying – you would hear the hard drive running and you would hear it power up and stay powered up. Based on what if information you've given, I would say at this point that it's probably the hard drive. But if you are able to get into recovery it will check that for you and hopefully be able to tell you if it is the hard drive or something else.