WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  IT Professional with over 15 years of computer hardware experience in repair and engineering
21171802

I have an HP Pavilion a6700f Desktop and it will not turn

Customer Question

I have an HP Pavilion a6700f Desktop and it will not turn on. I have tried the electrical connections and there is power to the unit. This happended a couple of years back and I was able to reset something and it worked fine but I cannot remember what I did. There is a small recessed red buttom right under the power cord in the back and I wonder if that may be what I need to press to bring it back but I do not want to do so withour some assurance that I will not make things worse. Help!
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

That should be the fuse reset button, it's okay to push that.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Check to see if you have the 120/220 Volt selector switch on the back of the power supply. Unplug the computer and switch this to 220V and then back to 120V. Then plug back in and turn the computer on. Then see if the power supply fan moves.

You may also need to re-seat the cable connections inside the computer if the power supply does not turn on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red button does not move so that did not work. I opened the computer and took out the power supply and could not find a 120/240 switch. I did not open the power supply because I was concerned about the high voltage possibility. Is it ok to open that and will I see the switch that you are referencing at that point. Also, please explain more fully what you mean by reseating the cable connections. Thank You
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Make sure to unplug the power to the computer first. Then open and unplug the power supply. Re-seating the cable is just the main plug that goes from the power supply to the motherboard. Unplugging the cable and back in will work fine.

Then close the case cover and plug the power back in. Let me know if you hear the fan moving.