Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Networking, hardware, software, various OS's, Email Web and domain hosting, DNS
63493917

I purchased a new computer that came only with USB ports, no

Customer Question

I purchased a new computer that came only with USB ports, no PS-2 sockets. Problem is I want to hook it to a KVM switch that only has PS-2 connectors - no USBs. I can purchase a PCI card that has PS-2 ports. However on the one I bought, the PS-2 ports
don't become active until later in the boot cycle, making it difficult to intercept it to make system-level changes. I also think they don't work if you shell out to DOS. Can you recommend one that is always active?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

there is no such adaptation to convert PS2 to USB that will work on your switch. The signal that is coming from your target and is send via Composite or USB is not correctly translated to the KVM, the KVM due to the fact that it doesn't understand the signal will drop it and not forward it to your console output.

A work around would be, purchasing a PS2 board that you could plug into one of your PCI slots on the target PC or Server.

http://www.dinodirect.com/2-usb-with-2-ps2-port-pci-card.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is exactly what I said in my question: "I can purchase a PCI card that has PS-2 ports." The one you linked me to looks like the one I bought. Also as I said, the PS-2 port on most of the cards doesn't become active until too late in the boot cycle, making it impossible to intercept the boot cycle to, for example, enter the BIOS setup. So what I want is one where the PS-2 ports are active immediately, just as they would be if the PS-2 ports were on the motherboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to answer this question?

Yes im going to answer.....I am researching your issue.....need some time.