Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computer Hardware. MCSE, MCP, ICCP - Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, Alienware, Lenovo.
23511658

I have an AMD Radeon R9 290 gpu and i have 3 dell S2415H

Customer Question

i have an AMD Radeon R9 290 gpu and i have 3 dell S2415H monitors same size. i have 2 dvi - hdmi connections going from the gpu to monitor 1 and 2, then i have an hdmi cable going from gpu to monitor 3. now monitor 1 and 2 work they show up in amd catalyst control center and in screen resolution however the 3rd monitor does not it is black screen. it is on the right input (hdmi) and i have swapped the hdmi cables. if i unplug the hdmi from the gpu then unplug one of the dvis from the gpu then plug in the hdmi to the back on the gpu again then the 3rd monitor shows up but monitor 1 or 2 is gone now even if i plug the dvi input back into the gpu. basically a gpu that says that i can have 3 monitors running at the same time without an active adapter only shows 2 at a time.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the ADI Drivers installed along with the Radeon control panel? It may not do it through the OS, but it should do it through the Radeon Control Panel.

Also, some of their cards with 2 DVI and one HDMI will only use either DVI or HDMI of those 2 ports. All have to oh look up your GPU and find out if I can find the card that is on this particular Dell machine to see if that's the case here but that's what I suspect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this gpu will allow to use up to 6 monitors at the same time so why cant i use 3? and yes its up to date on drivers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if thats it im not paying you serious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive had more info on dating websites

If you find someone on a dating website that knows as much as this about computers, they're a keeper. What site do you use?

Where are you changing the monitor configuration from? Windows, or the Radeon control panel?

What leads you to believe that this card allows you to use 6 monitors simultaneously? I double checked for you - it supports two, unless you use mini display port.