Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Hardware expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I just upgraded to windows 10 and now my pc doesn't see my

Customer Question

I just upgraded to windows 10 and now my pc doesn't see my external drive
Category: Computer Hardware
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems to be a driver issue but I can't seem to find the drivers for my iomega external harddrive
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

What is the make and model of iomega drive? Also if you disconnect the drive and reconnect it while windows it running what message do you receive if any?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model # *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT'S TERRA BYTE AND A HALF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT JUST ASK TO FORMAT THE DRIVE AND I YEARS OF DATA I COULD BEFORE WINDOWS 10?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE YEARS DATA ON IT
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

Ok do not format the drive. Are you saying when you plug it in the only option windows gives you is to format?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I LEFT MY CELL UPSTAIRS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IF YOU CAN GIVE ME A FEW MINUTES I CAN GET IT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAN YOU GIVE 5 MINUTES?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

No need for phone call, we can handle this through this chat. Do you have any computers that do not have windows 10?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DO BUT THEY ARE OLDER AND VERY TIRED
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

If you would like I can connect to your computer and take a look real quick. Just click HERE and download and run the connection utility if you would like to do that.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

Ok after having a look it appears the drive has gone RAW. This means windows cannot read it. The first priority would be to get a back up of this drive. There are options but I would not want to try any without having a back up. So try and get a back up on another machine. It is also possible that somehow the drive became corrupt during the windows 10 update.

If you find the drive works on an older machine or think you may just want to go back to windows 8.1 you have 30 days to do so. Follow these instructions to go back to 8.1

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback-from-windows-10

Since windows 10 is brand new problems are still popping up and there are not fixes yet so it could just be this drive is not compatible so you may need to get a new one if you want to use windows 10.

The fix can get pretty complex but here is a walk through, it is a bit outdated and again I do not suggest you try any of this without a back up first

http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

I hope you found this conversation informative and at least helped you understand the issue a bit better. If you would like me to receive credit for my time spent with you then please rate my service.

If I find any new information on this issue I will let you know asap.

Thanks,

Chris