Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

I have a Maxtor one touch external drive. I have upgraded to

Customer Question

I have a Maxtor one touch external drive. I have upgraded to Windows 10. When I plug the drive USB in to the computer I can access the files but I can no longer back-up to the drive. The computer is not recognising the external drive and the external drive does not recognise the computer. I can, however, access the external drive files. Any ideas?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I would be happy to try and assist you with this.

Windows 10 is still very new and many of us are still experimenting with it to learn the ins and out of the system. However, I hope I can offer you at least some help with this. You never said which operating system you upgraded from. Is it 7 or 8.1? Also, I assume you were using the built in Windows backup software and not a third party program. The issue you might be having is that Windows 10 uses a different backup process then Windows 7, and if you are using the same drive still there could be some sort of conflict going on. If you are not doing so already, I would use the Windows 7 version of Windows Backup that is still hidden within the OS. To find it, type in the search Backup and Restore and choose the one that says Windows 7.

Let me know if this is of any help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Chris....I upgraded from Windows 7.The backup programme that I use is by Seagate Maxtor.I have done as you suggested and using the Windows process have backed up to the external drive. It has taken hours instead of minutes but this has worked. It may be easier in the future now that the main task has been done. I would prefer that the "old" Seagate/Maxtor system actually worked!In the meantime, this may be the best that I can have unless you have any other ideas. I'll be in touch tomorrow if I strike problems in the next backup.Richard.
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. The way I read your question I assumed you were using the built in Backup utility.

.

There still could have been an issue due to the upgrade from 7 to 10. I've experienced a lot of weird glitches and problems when upgrading from 7 to 10 also. Windows 10 is so new that there is still a lot of bugs in it. I find the operating system runs a lot better if you do a clean install. This way you are running pure Windows 10 and there aren't any after effects from Windows 7. You will need to make yourself a USB or DVD and boot your computer to one of these devices to do a clean install though. You can download the Media Creator program for Windows 10 to get an ISO or to make a bootable install disc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris.....
Your last advice was a bit beyond me.You will recall that my external drive could not be recognized by the computer. However, the files on the external drive were accessible. What I have done is simply copy and paste the files I want to back-up to the external drive. It takes a bit of time but at least I have the files backed-up to a disk that is stored elsewhere. I'm a bit pisssed that the Maxtor/Seagate pathway won't work but I'll cope. Your advice has, I think, been sound but in the end a little on the high price side. But thank you anyway.