IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have a 2 year old PC HP that has Win 7 When trying to

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old PC HP that has Win 7
When trying to restart i have gotten a black screen with just the mouse arrow I could usually I could restart 2-4 times it would start up now it goes to black screen even while trying to start in safe mode
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  lexx3218 replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. It sounds like you may have a startup malfunction. Do you have a widows 7 disk and are you still able to get the start up options with safemode listed. Does it give the option to repair?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I was in the bios looking around and found an option for video ON BOARD or Stand Alone DVI card (which is what I was using) and I changed it back to On Board Rebooted and it came up fine working but running slower maybe the video card was helping. How can I be sure the card is bad?

Expert:  lexx3218 replied 1 year ago.

You may want to try downloading a more updated driver for it. Have you done this or tried that yet. It can cause that kind of problem if there was a driver malfunction. Usually if its a bad graphics card you wouldn't be seeing anything now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It must not have anything to do with the Video card as it did the same thing today. You mentioned start up malfunction before, No I do not have a win 7 disk I am pretty sure it said it was on the hard drive partition D ???

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

It seems that something has happened to boot files which are needed to properly load Windows 7. Since you have Windows 7, you should be able to fix the problem easily, even without a Windows 7 disc..

Here is what to do:

First, restart your computer and then keep pressing the F8 key rapidly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu which looks like this:

graphic

Once you see that menu, select the Repair Your Computer option and press Enter. Wait for a while and follow the on-screen instructions. You should get to the window that has several repair options, including Startup Repair, as shown on this image:

graphic

So, click on Startup Repair which should fix all found startup problems automatically. Once it has finished, your computer should restart and operate normally.

However, if it is still the same, repeat the instructions to go back to the System Recovery Options window, but now select System Restore:

graphic

When you click on System Restore, follow the on-screen instructions where you can choose one restore point based on a date to revert system settings back to that date (when all worked fine). Wait for the process to finish and it will automatically restart the computer. Hopefully, the problem will be gone. Don't worry about your personal files as they won't be affected by System Restore.

I hope this helps! If not, let me know and I will check further options.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box (smiley faces).

Thanks,