Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have a model PA246PIPS. The menu began popping up on the

Customer Question

I have a model PA246PIPS. The menu began popping up on the screen uninvited and the buttons that control it had no control. I removed the bezel and found that liquid, apparently windex, had run down the screen and into the control panel. One of the dome switches has the top off of it. With the control panel disconnected the menu no longer pops up but the word SPLLENDID DEMO, scenery/splendid off/splendid on are bumping up and down on my screen. I have damaged the plug that holds the ribbon. Can you think of anything other than the control panel, since it is disconnected, that might be at fault? Is it possible for me to obtain a new control button panel? Numbers on board are: P E162032 VOL. 3 94V-0 :083. Will appreciate your assistance.
Bill Sims
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I think that the fluid - whatever it was - damaged the circuitry it touched. That is especially likely, if the circuitry was 'live' at the time. Be it noted: cleaning a flat-screen with Windex or similar ammoniated window cleaner, is likely to damaged the surface. You have to be cautious what you clean a flat-screen's display surface with, for many common cleaners *will* damage the plastic, or make it foggy and hard to see through, etc. All I can recommend is keeping it very clean, never touching fingertips to it, and wiping with a very soft, high-grade clean cleaning cloth on occasion... that has been moistened with water, and nothing else. As for the button panel... the absence of it may be causing the SPLENDID DEMO, but the bumping up and down of the demo notice makes me need to ask: is the rest of the screen, or anything else on it, bumping up and down also? because if the display is 'jittering' as a whole, something else might have been damaged aside from the button panel.Also, if there might be anything moist still in the circuits, you should not test nor turn On the display for quite some time, and leave it unplugged to dry out thoroughly, for at least 2 days with the cover off in a clean dry dust-free place. Is this the board you are asking about?:http://komputersrepairs.ecrater.com/p/17727335/cmo-i320b1-24-rev1f-lcd-inverter Note that one is sold as 'NOT Working' so it's no good as a replacement part for your case, even if it looks the same as the board you are trying to replace. But if it *does* look the same, that's information that would help me (or, you) in the search for a replacement board. Or does it look more like this one?:http://magnapc.hu/121-c-25.html?p=shop/product&pID=122 which is for a TravelMate, which sounds to me like a laptop part not a monitor part. Let me know, please. Thanks.